17' Series Blueys 2014 1756-2 outback

Quadcam8

Mar 2, 2016
Hastings
:welcome: @Bluey. Great choice in van but I'm biased ;)
We were lucky and didn't have to wait for the build as we bought the "stock" van that was ordered for display (hasn't got the independent coil suspension as it was built on a 2013 version chassis but happy with the spring version).

Sounds like you have most options covered but if ordering another I would go for extra powerpoints over the standard layout. I'm sure others on here will give you more ideas. As for the extended drawbar I would go for one next time but luckily we didn't as not enough room where we park it due to angle of driveway.

Tow ours with a 04 petrol prado and no probs.
OH and before you pick it up....... Same some more $'s for mods ;)
Cheers,
David
Hi David,
I'm new to expandas downunder as we have just ordered a 2016 17 56 2 ob. We like you have a 2004 petrol prado and I'm very very curious about the fuel economy?
Looking forward to hearing your figures.
Regards Cam

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Hi Cam,
Haven't done an actual calculation with towing only but have done with a combination of towing and small amount not towing and worked out to average between 17 to 19litres/100K's.

One thing to confirm is the proposed ATM weight of your van with the Prado's maximum towing weight at 2500kgs. Our Outback was actually built on one of the last 2013 chassis' with leaf springs and the ATM is 2433kgs!!!! The JTEC independent suspension adds approximately 200 - 250kgs to the van.

On a different note the old girl pulls the van with ease but does feel it behind going up hills!

Reactions: bigcol

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
if any thing he thought leafs where heavier ???????????
The issue I see with his reply is the wording..... "If anything HE THOUGHT!!!!!"
As this was the selling point for the van we got I checked out the other two vans delivered at the same time (With Jtec) and both Tare and ATM weights on them were significantly higher than ours... One was almost the same specs but had the extended drawbar!

Reactions: bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
@dagee I rang another jayco dealer in melb to get his thoughts about this weight difference and if it was that great was it worth getting leaf springs put on mine < mind you it was just a question > he said the weight is not much different if any thing he thought leafs where heavier ??????????? buggered if I know

the way I see it, some Jayco Sales Reps are the same as the Jayco Quality Control people

wouldnt know Clay from Coal

leaf springs
4 x spring packs - approx. 50kgs each

JTEC
4 x independent trailing arms (wishbone arms) with springs - approx. 100kgs each

Reactions: Bluey and dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
leaf springs
4 x spring packs - approx. 50kgs each

JTEC
4 x independent trailing arms (wishbone arms) with springs - approx. 100kgs each
Equals approximately 200kgs difference.... But then still have to take axle weight in consideration!

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Equals approximately 200kgs difference.... But then still have to take axle weight in consideration!

and also the amount of welds holding the stub axles onto the suspension.................
and all the mountings holding it all to the chassis

I do believe the sales rep was talking out of his..............(what rhymes with hum......................???)

Reactions: dagree

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Adelaide
Wednesday
Possible light shower.
Max
Thursday
Cloudy.
Min
Max