VIC Barwon Heads Caravan Park

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
To think this place exists within a 1 and a half hours drive from the city is just bliss.
I had never been to Barwon Heads before, but the place has a really laid back but classy character to it.
The caravan park itself is huge and by far the best manicured and appointed park we have stayed at. I was impressed how all the on site vans had storage boxes built over the draw bar. Almost every van had it. And it just uncluttered the entire park from the mechanics of the vans.

The on site cabins were very modern and made you think that they would be perfect for a romantic getaway.... That is if you didn't have the expanda of course. :)

This is a view of the caravan park and Barwon heads. You can just see our expanda sitting to the left of the pic.
At the top of the pic is the jetty and immediately behind that is a restaurant on the water. A fantastic place to sit at lunch with a coffee with the log fire going (seeing it is winter).
image.jpg

For those amongst us that surf, loooong rolling waves. And there were heaps of surfers down there catching a wave or two.

image.jpg

And walking the paths was extremely picturesque also.

image.jpg

Amenities were impeccable. And you could not ask for better cooking areas to congregate in.

image.jpg

The kids are catered for with modern play grounds, tennis and basketball courts (with court side BBQ) and this to kick a ball around on.

image.jpg

This is the inside of the restaurant I mentioned above. We stayed for coffees only as we tried the pub out the night before, and seeing it was a short weekend away never got the opportunity to taste the grub.

image.jpg

This is us overlooking everything.
Take a look at that huge silver fuselage without wings sitting behind us. That caravan had me intrigued all weekend.

image.jpg

This place and area is a highly recommend in my books. We will be trying to get in for cup weekend in November and are already planning another short trip back there again in two weeks time.

No dogs allowed.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Very cruel Brad, when we've been stuck here at home. BH is a magic place; we spend six weeks "almost free camping" just across the bridge on the spit of land between road and river every summer. Love your pics. Great place to blow away the cobwebs and recharge your batteries at any time of year. Stacks of stuff to do nearby and keep kids amused. The BH Op Shop to the Queenscliff Marine Discovery Centre and the new Marina. Also Prestige Jayco is only 30mins away (just for looking, of course!)

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Sounds like a plan pace9908.
It wasn't aero van. the name of the van was written right across the front too.
If someone posts it i will remember, but can't quite remember myself....

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Nice one Brad, need to put that one on the list to visit, l'll try get in for Cup w'end too, what the heck who else want to get in on it.
As for the silver fuseluge, that could be the ''Aerovan''. I have been researching this van on the net. A bloke up at Echuca builds them, very interesting van and specs. http://aerovan.com.au
Pace.

Your family would love BH, mate. There's also a steam train that runs from Queenscliff that you'd enjoy. The silver streak is intriging and looks a bit like a refurbished Airstream or Silver Bullet. I remember them (probably a bit before your time). Ansett used to have similar streamlined buses when I was a young fella. Built a bit like aircraft. Real classics in my book.

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Your family would love BH, mate. There's also a steam train that runs from Queenscliff that you'd enjoy. The silver streak is intriging and looks a bit like a refurbished Airstream or Silver Bullet. I remember them (probably a bit before your time). Ansett used to have similar streamlined buses when I was a young fella. Built a bit like aircraft. Real classics in my book.

Thx XF, being ex Ansett myself, just might place a visit. Have allready emailed of my booking just minutes ago. Pace.

Reactions: Xpandafan

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
We will ring tomorrow and make a booking for cup weekend also.
i am keen to give that restaurant on the waterfront a go also.

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Great review Brad I might have to give it a go too, might talk to the boss in the morning and book as well. We went to Torquay on anzac weekend and weren`t that impressed there but that looks very nice. How big are the sites ,the ones on the foreshore look a little short?

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
My good mate lives in Barwon Heads not far form the park, its a beautiful area.

A great report Brad thanks for sharing your trip away, mate :thumb:

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Great review Brad I might have to give it a go too, might talk to the boss in the morning and book as well. We went to Torquay on anzac weekend and weren`t that impressed there but that looks very nice. How big are the sites ,the ones on the foreshore look a little short?
The sites vary in size. They had us on a much larger site to begin with but we swapped so that we could turn the van around and wake up to the sea view.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
We stayed there last cup day, and stayed a few spots from where you were Brad. We booked last year to go back on this years cup day weekend. They even will put you on site if it is a tight squeeze :) . Last year I was amazed at the number of annuals and I asked the question to see how many sites for sale. Most parks always have a few. The answer was none, they don't come up too often!

Geoff

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Yeah Geoff, I am concerned when Simone rings up this morning that I am going to find no sites available. Fingers crossed.