Air Bag Suspension

Benando

Oct 31, 2013
Hi guys getting some airbags installed tomorrow, has any one had any experience with towing performance?

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Hi Bushman, to the tow vehicle, it is a 2011 patrol

Ok I have them om the Pajero. Firestone (Airbag Man) Pajero has soft rear end, my previous camper (Swan) was bottoming out the Standard springs so fitted up new springs (Old Man Emu) plus Airbags as the Paj has storage system in rear as well. Though with the Panda I also use a Weight Hitch, bit of a balancing act between WDH and Airbag with my set up.

Reactions: Moxley23

Benando

Oct 31, 2013
Cheers for that , I'm hoping that I won't need a wdh with the air bags, the patrol is just a tad saggy in the back end

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
I am the same with my Triton, it has airbags but it still needs wdh to take the bounciness out of it and put some control back on the front wheels. My ute has a lot more overhang out the back compared to the patrol though.

Last edited:
Reactions: JASA

JASA

Mar 15, 2013
Melbourne Vic.
Hi Benando, I tried just air bags (Polyairs) in my cruiser first, but found the 'rock n roll' a bit annoying. So ended up buying the Hayman Reese wdh, which combined with the air bags works great. Also, as @17triton says, it also put more weight onto my front wheels which feels positive.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I'll be a bit different o_O I had airbags in my 100 series and no wdh never had a problem and they were in there for over 30k of towing alone.

Just experiment with pressures but for us I found 22psi the magic number. Any harder and it would bump steer if that makes sense as the rear suspension still needs to obsorb the bumps etc.

The Alberto

Oct 19, 2012
Rockhampton QLD
I have the Firestone airbags in my Prado. Whilst it is OK with no WDH, I much prefer how it feels when using both. Just seems to have more control and a more even feeling through the whole car and the steering. I usually run about 18psi in mine and it takes that "wallowing" out of the rear, it still absorbs the bumps, but flattens out much quicker which overall makes for a much more comfortable ride.

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
Howdy got poly airs in our 2013 territory best thing every done use wdh as well money well spent

Chooky

Jan 14, 2013
Glenden, Qld
Cheers everyone, airbags in, first test soon, I will let you know how they go
Hi Benando did you get the airbags that go inside the spring or the ones that replace the bump stop beside the spring, if the one inside the spring I would strongly suggest getting the upgrade done on the top spring mounting plate. A friend of mine was towing his van with the airbags inside the spring and no upgrade done and the top plate failed and nearly pushed the spring up through the floor of his Patrol. The kit you buy to upgrade the top plate gets welded into position and strengthens the mounting plate. If you have the airbags beside the springs I don't think you will need them as the airbags take a lot of the load from the springs, this is what I have and haven't had a problem and I've done maybe 20,000 kms towing my Swan and now the Expanda. Hope this makes sense.

Ashevo

Aug 26, 2012
Karratha
Thanks guys for the replies. Have upgraded suspension but still get a sag in the rear end of the Paj. The rear tyres are wearing a lot quicker than the front and I am wondering if a set of air bags might help? I have a tregg hitch so can't go a WDH setup. Appreciate any advice as we are in Adelaide next week so have a chance to make some changes.