Exterior Yellowing Panel on exterior

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
The sloping panel above the front boot on my 2012 Discovery is starting to go yellow. I noticed it yesterday when the font window covers were on the open position and I can see the difference where the cover have covered the panel. The van has always been polished with the 3M marine polish provided with the van. Is this a common problem. Various other plastic external fittings have gone yellow including the wash basin in the interior shower.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Unfortunately it is a common problem particularly with Jayco earlier models even one the inside of ensuites with sun shining through the roof hatch,
Even some of their motor homes that have plastic exterior moldings suffer from it.

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
Yes it's a pity this happens, I have painted the plastic power fittings and fridge vents etc but no longer have the equipment to respray the front of the van. The vent over the shower combo has always had a reflective cover on the inside as I had read that yellowing happens in there but it made no difference. Jayco has been good to me with a couple of other problems that occured after warranty but not sure if this one would qualify, might send them an email and see what happens.

Reactions: bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
My shower went a nice cream colour and the front panel yellowed slightly.........was advised on how to possibly get the shower plastic back to white but never got around to it but it was mixing up a paste of 40 VOL Peroxide from a hair dressers, coating the plastic with it and leave it in the sun in a plastic bag so it doesn't dry out. Google it or find the instructions I posted on here somewhere for a complete How To Do.....

I have had plastic handles on a fridge go yellow while it was still in it's box stashed in a shed for 4 years so sunlight may not be the only cause.

Reactions: bigcol