Discovery Yellow plastic in shower

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
I know there has been discussion in the past but wondering if anyone has found a new solution other than re-spraying to remove this problem. I have had a sun screen over my vent since day 1 but it still happened. It only on the plastic directly behind the toilet and around the basin and not where the basin protects tha background when folded. It looks ugly cosmetically but otherwise OK. Not a big area to re-spray.

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Is it on the white plastic wall covering or the plastic shower itself.If on the plastic wall coating it normally is an adhesive they use,eg oversprayed and now discolored .I got a product from Bunnings think called glue off .Brushed it on the yellow left for as log as possible ,much of it cam e off,but a long job.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If you mean the plastic moulding surrounding the basin yellowing along with other vets and plastic bits, a mixture of water and 40vol peroxide available from any hairdresser supplies etc, coated over the panels as a paste for a certain time inside a plastic bag, must be in the sunbut cannot dry out, I did provide a link to instructions on a thread but I have forgotten the full details but they are on the net.

Its not direct sunlight that causes it, just the plastic mix goes yellow as it ages....... myths of smoke, fumes, hairspray are just that.

Other way for vents and things I have cleaned them up with wet an dry, sprayed with a plastizer paint then used a enamel top coat, still a pain to do.

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
Its not the walls. It is the plastic moulding behind the actual toilet bowl and basin. I expect its the plastic yellowing by age. I have seen the same happen to white toilet seats and various other implements in the home. I asked the question in case someone new of any new ideas regards a solution before I resort to respraying. I might hive the perioxide a go as spraying in such a confined space would be a pain. Interestingly the plastic looks OK just yellowing. Thanks for the replies.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yep thats what happened to mine, I honestly don't think either do a job thats worth the effort really peroxide or spraying they really have to be removed to get the job done properly and if the peroxide doesn't get the right amount of sun or the surface isn't right then the paint doesn't take then it looks blotchy..... and really how many people do you invite into your dunny ..................... but I know it annoys the crap out of you, the fridge mouldings on our house fridge have gone the same way along with some of the vents on BIg Mal I have sprayed some with some turning out good others not so, now I just look away, was gong to buy new outside sockets as the old ones have yellowed and looked horrible, then I saw the price of new ones so they got resprayed................

What annoys me more is this has been happening for decades and some plastics do it others don't............ let us know and show us the pics of your toils, good or bad as its a great journey.

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
Yeah its annoying me but I was thing about the effect it might have on resale. The vans in excellent condition and is 2012 model that hasnt done a lot of work. Just put a diesel heater on it for winter trips.