Wozza's Van

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
IMG_4841.JPG
IMG_4844.JPG
IMG_4846.JPG
Hey Guys,

Just though I would show some pics of our Australia Wide room extension called the captains quarters. It replaces the side wall completely for installation.

A few have said that it is a pain to put up due to the pole system, agreed it was for the first time but it really isn't that bad. It basically has a frame that holds it up, the frame can be set up smaller than what is needed and placed inside the annex and "stretched out" to lift and hold the annex around it. We bought it for the 4 bikes and four scooters but it also fits the table in there. A bed will fit in there also and it can be closed off from the main annex with a door. It adds another 2 metres to the annex so for extended stays it will be useful. I wont use it all the time but handy to have for many reasons.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
An interesting option and one ive never seen. As you said probably it's real use is for longer stays but it should do what you want it do.

Quick and probably irrelevant question: why do you have the storm covers on in what looks like clear weather. I assume it's to test them but it would be incredibly hot inside with them on? particularly with the covers closed

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
Sensible question @Dobbie

When we put the little one down for a nap it keeps more light out during the day. The standard covers let light in through the green parts of the canopy and she is used to being in a darker room.

Also we find that it keeps the inside cooler when the Air con is needed to be on v's cool air flow that wasn't available at the weekend.

You are right about practise too, there was a storm coming over when we arrived so I got them up before the annex, only to realise that they are different sizes and needed to be swapped around. Some of the channels are cut away at the entry to make the cover slide in nice but some have not been cut away and the stitching etc gets caught, time to grind away some of the plastic channel to make things easier and also preserve the life of the canopy with less snags happening.

Reactions: bigcol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I found that out with ours as well.....grabbed a marker pen when I finally identified front and back, then found they were already clearly marked.

And we never ever used them in rain . ...didn't need to but precautionary approach worked.

Have fun with your van.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
looks good mate, I do like the added room, just not a fan of the work involved

yes @Dobbie I fit our covers if its more than an over nighter

yes, it cuts down on breeze, but when its a hot breeze, its a good thing, nice and cool inside

Reactions: dagree and Dobbie

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney

yes, it cuts down on breeze, but when its a hot breeze, its a good thing, nice and cool inside

Thanks @bigcol

Certainly only for long stays or if its getting a little crowded in the annex. With the two picnic tables down its gets a little difficult to have 6 people comfortably. I am still getting use to which set up is best in the annex, where to put esky's and tables etc, it will sort itself as im sure no two trips will be the same.

I'm thinking of getting some shade walls to use instead of the annex and see how they go on some trips.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I usually have the Engel & such underneath the fold down table - milk is close by for the coffee makings......................

I have the shade walls - but they are only for day or two
any longer and the annex walls will go up..... can always open them up for light and breeze

Reactions: dagree

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014

yes, it cuts down on breeze, but when its a hot breeze, its a good thing, nice and cool inside[/QUOTE

Hey @bigcol we don't have hot ...or even warm breezes here in Qld...hence the concern about ventilation.

But, it's worth the effort if you look like getting drenched!

Me.....I hate being enclosed at any time, even in rain and storms.

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
I usually have the Engel & such underneath the fold down table - milk is close by for the coffee makings......................

I have the shade walls - but they are only for day or two
any longer and the annex walls will go up..... can always open them up for light and breeze

Were taking the van/kids away over xmas and have a few stops booked, I think its 3 nights in Coffs Harbour, then 6-7 nights Surfers Paradise then back down for 2 nights near Port Macquarie and Im sure some over nighters somewhere along the way so I want to have options for set up at different places.

I also like to have some privacy for my family and also for people on the site behind us so the back awning wall will always be set up when I go away.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol