Electrical Wiring for DCDC

Brad77

Feb 9, 2016
Sydney
Hi Guys,

I am installing a DCDC charger in my expanda to charge 2 x lithium batteries. I need to run an ignition wire from the charger to the 12 pin plug. Which pin do you reckon would be the best one to piggy back off? I already have the anderson plug on the car and and anderson plug and wiring installed in the caravan.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Depends how you have wired stuff up, you need a source that is only live with ignition/engine running so if you have a fridge switch for the fridge then I would tap into that circuit between switch and fridge, then when you stop the power is cut off, your fridge and charger won't drain your tug battery, the supply for the charger I would use a dedicated run via an anderson and the same thing for the fridge and just use the 12 pin for the basic trailer functions ... If your solar system is set up correctly I doubt your batteries will be drawing much from the tug if at all.
The easy way is to tap into a tail light circuit, drive with your tail lights on and since when you stop the car usually yells out you have lights on, so you turn them off... no drain, if you don't turn them on your dc/dc thingy will just charge using solar anyway if needed so not a biggy really.....

Reactions: Brad77