Electrical Wiring connectors

Curryhouse

Apr 8, 2012
Newcastle
Recently fitted a rear view camera to the van and needed to splice into caravan wiring for power. Came across these connectors at Bunnings which made the job easy.
IMG_4276.JPG IMG_4274.JPG

Reactions: Bluey

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
A small warning those type of connectors do work, but they are very prone to corrosion from any moisture, due to dissimilar metals (copper wire and metal coating on blade). They are OK if kept dry, though they do weaken the cable they bite into and allow moisture through the plastic insulation onto the copper wire. I had some on my old trailer and eventually had to replace them with soldered connections. I would suggest it would be a good idea try to protect them from moisture with waterproof tape or heat shrink if possible.

Good luck hope they are OK.

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
Yeah as @yabbietol mentioned... Good in dry and even then I won't use them... Aftermarket accessory installers love them because they are quick and easy fix (and they don't have to worry about the problems down the track when moisture and dirt create poor connections.

Curryhouse

Apr 8, 2012
Newcastle
A small warning those type of connectors do work, but they are very prone to corrosion from any moisture, due to dissimilar metals (copper wire and metal coating on blade). They are OK if kept dry, though they do weaken the cable they bite into and allow moisture through the plastic insulation onto the copper wire. I had some on my old trailer and eventually had to replace them with soldered connections. I would suggest it would be a good idea try to protect them from moisture with waterproof tape or heat shrink if possible.

Good luck hope they are OK.

Thanks for the reply @yabbietol . That's good feedback and advice. In the interim, I will tape the connections and then look at soldering as the wiring is easily accessible.

Curryhouse

Apr 8, 2012
Newcastle
G'day @Curryhouse do you have any photos or tips on installing the reverse camera, it's on my to do list ?

Hi @Ss--ss , there is a thread I started in the How To's forum in Nov 13 on an idea I had and got some great replies from others that had fitted a camera and their experiences. I don't know the right way to include a link to the thread in this post - this is an attempt http://www.expandasdownunder.com/th...-camera-to-an-expanda-12-a-cunning-plan.4099/ If that doesn't work, the thread title is "Fitting a rear view camera to an Expanda 12 - a cunning plan"

Reactions: Ss--ss