Wires to the ROOF of the car

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
I'm working on getting Solar Panels on the Roof of the car for the shopping (read beverage) fridge.

Would be great if anyone that has wired their tow vehicles roof for different things could share their ideas and experiences about the best places to run wires.

Pictures would be fantastic.

Loony ideas with possibility welcome :crazy:

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
I'm working on getting Solar Panels on the Roof of the car for the shopping (read beverage) fridge.

Would be great if anyone that has wired their tow vehicles roof for different things could share their ideas and experiences about the best places to run wires.

Pictures would be fantastic.

Loony ideas with possibility welcome :crazy:
with out searching what car do you have again ?? the cruiser you can run wires where the roof lining meets the trim tuck it in the edges and top of door trims ????? from front to back

Ben Stanford

Feb 23, 2014
Sunbury, Vic
If you don't want the risk of wires being pinched by doors opening and closing all the time, they can be run from under the bonnet, up the side of the snorkel (if one installed). I had that setup on my GU patrol, prior to twin cabbing the patrol.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
With the size of the wires for your panels I reckon @Ben Stanford 's idea is the go, you couldn't run them thru the door they wouldn't last 5 sec's and you don't want to drill a hole in the roof.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Saw a Crusier (Troopie) at Pigeon House Mtn the other day that had the cables from roof mounted solar running through the snorkel, had a grommet at the rear of the snorkel head where the cables went through.

Reactions: Bluey and Drover

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
When I had my Nissan Navara with the canopy on the back I had my battery and fridge in the back with the solar panel on the roof. I had the cable from the battery running up inside the canopy through a gromet in the roof to and anderson plug on the outside canopy roof. I then had short cable from the solar panel terminating in an anderson plug. My panel was portable and in tracks so it could slide out if wanted. On the Territory now I will have the panel set up the same but with a flat cable that will just close with into the rear door opening.