QLD Winter wander 2021

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
Here are the bones of our 2021 wander, always flexible just not planning to be too far from home this year.all sealed roads when towing but plenty of side trips when unhooked . Just doing my battery health checks and sadly a couple may need replacement,soo I will be doing some research on different battery types, cost..weight...warranty.. how batteries marry into my existing set up..charge rates.. The list goes on..

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    209.4 KB · Views: 288
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    277 KB · Views: 297

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
Is that going along the Bauhinia Downs Rd from Taroom ???
close , Rollston via Bauhinia Downs to Moura then Kianga mine road to Theadore then to Taroom, we will stop at apex park at Moura have a paddle and fish in the Dawson River, Trip so far, start up the coast then back through the middle

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yep The mine road has some interesting sights at times...was unimpressed with the camp at Theodore river junction last run, a Gypsie camp I thought, showground nice. Wandoan historic village is nice for a visit and camp...

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
i have nothing against the people and town of Theadore its actually a nice little town ,but the river junction camp can be likened to a feral refugee camp at times no wonder they get closed down , if i had to stay there i would probably go to the showgrounds ,but not in our plans, maybe a stop at Isla gorge but most probably direct to Taroom

Reactions: BJM and Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Big rock "Amazing Grace" found at Rubyvale fossicking fields, not sure when though....422.5ct , yellow sapphire would certainly do me...... I'm the fella who digs for hours adn then some other bugga comes along a kicks a bit of dirt away, bingo............

amazing grace.jpg

Reactions: Disco Duck and BJM

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
Big rock "Amazing Grace" found at Rubyvale fossicking fields, not sure when though....422.5ct , yellow sapphire would certainly do me...... I'm the fella who digs for hours adn then some other bugga comes along a kicks a bit of dirt away, bingo............

View attachment 66290
some years ago a group of us went fossiking at the Yowah opal field behind Eulo, we scratched around and found good colour chips and some low grade opal nuts but nothing of any value. but true to form rain chased us out of the desert,we ended up going home via the Nindigully pub, where we stayed in the black mud for a couple of days. mud up to our ankles and getting deeper,when one of the ladies in our party cleaned up her gum boots when we got home she found a top quality cut opal stuck in the tread of her wellies, by the colour it probably came from Lightning Ridge, it must have come from the pub camping area ,so you are right dumb luck plays a big part.

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Always call into Rubyvale on trips nth the last few years.Been fossicking for 30 years ,the damn sapphires seem harder to find or I am gettin older ! Always used to find good sapphires around Glen Innes however many areas now closed or owners wont let you on their land.Many areas in Torrington now under new mineral lease ,Stannum and Tingha now have NPs guys fining people fossicking for quartz ,jelly beans etc.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I like Sapphire, stay at the RSL but don't do much fossicking, get my thrill with a bucket of dirt, used to have a friend with a mine there, most interesting but found Yowah to be a totally different approach, need Gelly just to fossick, noodling the heaps at the van park at Lightning Ridge, lol,lol,lol, my gold pan has gone all rusty just too many Dopey Doras around nowadays........ plus my back hurts..........

Reactions: BJM

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
I like Sapphire, stay at the RSL but don't do much fossicking, get my thrill with a bucket of dirt, used to have a friend with a mine there, most interesting but found Yowah to be a totally different approach, need Gelly just to fossick, noodling the heaps at the van park at Lightning Ridge, lol,lol,lol, my gold pan has gone all rusty just too many Dopey Doras around nowadays........ plus my back hurts..........
only your back? When you get to be officially old ,you start you day by trying to find what does not hurt so you can plan your day, something to look forward to???????

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
Always call into Rubyvale on trips nth the last few years.Been fossicking for 30 years ,the damn sapphires seem harder to find or I am gettin older ! Always used to find good sapphires around Glen Innes however many areas now closed or owners wont let you on their land.Many areas in Torrington now under new mineral lease ,Stannum and Tingha now have NPs guys fining people fossicking for quartz ,jelly beans etc.
Last year I bought a few buckets of wash to bring home from one of the mines in rubyvale , Bill from Monique’s mine, when I got it home I panned the sand wash which showed colour then I had a close look at the quartz in my sieved gravel it also shows colour , you being in the know is it gold or pyrites from around there I suspect fools gold as the quartz colour is a bit too regular in form and the wash a little light in weight but you never know