16' Series Which one of these should I buy

5ofus

Jun 23, 2014
Brisbane
We were going to buy that layout but decided against it because of not being able to have an annex when the fridge is on the awning side, so just thought I'd mention in case you're unaware of it. If not you could use it in your bargaining lol. Out of those 2, I would be more inclined to buy the later model one. We personally wouldn't buy a touring model though, because of our driveway and the touring models have very low clearance (gutters can even be a problem). We paid $26,500 for a 2009 hard lid outback model (without a bathroom) a couple of months ago in Brisbane too just to give you an idea.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
@Tails83 I would pay the extra $2K and go for the first one (2007 model) as it sounds like you have seen it in person and may be taking the owners word on condition of the 2005 model.

Also the first one comes supplied with a full annex and as @5ofus mentioned you wouldn't be able to get one supplied aftermarket now due to the fridge being on the same side and not being able to be run on gas!

We had the same 2007 model as advertised and loved every minute away in it and only upgraded to upsize and increase ground clearance as the touring model bottomed out after redoing our drive.

Tails83

Nov 11, 2014
Brisbane northside
Thanks so much for the heads up about the fridge and running on gas. I'm guessing it's fine on 240v.

I really want a bathroom model to make free camping better for the wife and kids.

I would love to get an outback model but are very few around. Also limited by my 2t towing capacity.

Tails83

Nov 11, 2014
Brisbane northside
I'm conviced I'll go the newer one.

Need to work out a way to turn the table into a bed as well, I spoke to jayco directly and they said I can't get a converter but to make my own as it's easy enough.

Thanks again for the advice.

Frosty

Jul 19, 2013
Redlands, S.E.Q.
Welcome @Tails83

That first one looks particularly nice but I see that there is now an 07 outback listed out our way (Redlands) as well & maybe worth a look? Good comparison either way!

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/alexandra-hills/caravan/2007-jayco-16-49-1-outback-expanda/1061829600

We have an 04 model tourer and for our family of 4 it has been great. I will warn you though - it was an absolute **** for bottoming out until we turned the axle & it is now great to tow but the downside is the annex walls are now a bit short and we have to rely on the vinyl weather skirt to peg it to the ground, plus we had to buy a step to help getting in & out!

Ours also has the bed converter but it is a separate ply panel rather than the table. it sits on a ledge of timber along the front of each settee. Hope this picture complements of the original trading post listing when we bought it helps.

Cheers,
Frosty

Resized640x480_023.JPG

Attachments

• Resized640x480_019.JPG
    Resized640x480_019.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 150
  • Resized640x480_023.JPG
    Resized640x480_023.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 167

Tails83

Nov 11, 2014
Brisbane northside
Ok, thanks everyone again lol, I've decided on the 2007 model, I'll be picking it up as soon as the safety certificate is done (was done today but haven't heard from him, must of needed some work maybe)

As he's not including the tv( was never part of the deal anyway) I am getting it for $25,900.

I've already booked a few nights away at the end of the month in mooloolaba.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Ok, thanks everyone again lol, I've decided on the 2007 model, I'll be picking it up as soon as the safety certificate is done (was done today but haven't heard from him, must of needed some work maybe)

As he's not including the tv( was never part of the deal anyway) I am getting it for $25,900.

I've already booked a few nights away at the end of the month in mooloolaba.
Great news @Tails83 happy times :thumb: