17' Series Which Mattress Topper?

Heidi at

May 15, 2014
Werribee, Victoria
We pick up our new van next weekend and so have started looking for a topper for the queen side end.
I was wondering what type of mattress topper people are using and how much more comfortable it makes the bed. Also do the toppers make the bed really warm as hubby sweats a lot in his sleep.

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Hello we have bought for our previous van and for our bed at home mattress toppers from a Qld company which seem very reasonable in price and will cut the topper to size for you as they did for our Avan. They shipped to us in NSW no problem.

http://www.afe.com.au/Memory_Foam_Mattress_Overlay.htm

We went for the Visco flex topper and have found them very comfortable. They are a similar material to those very expensive Tempur mattress, but a lot cheaper. If you have a firm mattress they are really comfortable.
I don' t have anything to do with the company, but like their service and product.
Good luck
Terry

Reactions: Heidi at

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
We got a Clark Rubber comfort deluxe topper this week (was 20% off so bonus) - was driving past a store and just had to try something as we've done quite a few trips in the last 18 months without one.

Definitely worth having IMO and will now get some for the kids bunks too - makes the bed feel softer and more comfortable and def reduces the feeling of the split mattress. So far we can't notice and difference in temps.

http://www.clarkrubber.com.au/comfort-deluxe-overlay-s.html

Heidi at

May 15, 2014
Werribee, Victoria
We brought the target one and it made no difference to the mattress, still like sleeping on hard ground. I am currently researching other toppers, think we need something very thick. Only problem then is that we will have to take topper off when we fold up bed.

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
We brought the target one and it made no difference to the mattress, still like sleeping on hard ground. I am currently researching other toppers, think we need something very thick. Only problem then is that we will have to take topper off when we fold up bed.
we leave ours on, only have to take the doona off, fold up the mattress carefully and all works well. Mind you still not as good as the bed at home, but that's not why I go away "glamping"

Reactions: yabbietol

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
All I can suggest is have look at my earlier post.
We are both quite thin and find it difficult to sleep on over firm mattresses.
We used the AFE overlay in our Avan for three years and have had one on our bed at home for many years.
Memory foam is often used in invalid beds to reduce the chance of bed sores, just be careful to get good quality (e.g. Dunlop VF52).

Last edited:

jacbaz

Feb 6, 2011
Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne
We have tried numerous ... after lots of trial and error we bought one off Deals Direct and now have them on all the beds at home as well - very comfy and you can fold up the matress with it on
PS we also built up our bed end, ditched the three fold mattress and bought a new centre fold innerspring mattress ... Best thing we ever did!!!

Last edited:

Heidi at

May 15, 2014
Werribee, Victoria
All I can suggest is have look at my earlier post.
We are both quite thin and find it difficult to sleep on over firm mattresses.
We used the AFE overlay in our Avan for three years and have had one on our bed at home for many years.
Memory foam is often used in invalid beds to reduce the chance of bed sores, just be careful to get good quality (e.g. Dunlop VF52).
I have looked at the thick memory foam ones but not sure if it will then make the bed hot and be hard to move about, how thick are the AFE ones and how do you find them.

Seanm5253

Dec 21, 2014
Hillarys Perth
We pick up our new van next weekend and so have started looking for a topper for the queen side end.
I was wondering what type of mattress topper people are using and how much more comfortable it makes the bed. Also do the toppers make the bed really warm as hubby sweats a lot in his sleep.
Hi Heidi
We purchased 2 of these
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Prime-Pi...51061060611?pt=AU_Bedding&hash=item51bcdeac03
Found them so good now have them on all beds at home
They fold up with the bed too

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
I have looked at the thick memory foam ones but not sure if it will then make the bed hot and be hard to move about, how thick are the AFE ones and how do you find them.
The thickness varies depending which one you buy, we have bought the thicker more dense versions of VF52 memory foam, which cost a bit more. The VF52 60mm is what we have and it works well for us. We place ours on good quality very firm inner spring mattresses and therefore you do not sink too deep, I do not know but I imagine over a low density foam mattress you would sink a lot and it may be hot. However, our experience is that they are snug in winter, but not too hot in summer.

We live in the hills East of Queanbeyan at 800m and have very cold winters (-5C common overnight) and very hot summers (35C days not uncommon). Our house is well designed and cools down most nights, but not all nights, if in a heatwave as per January last year it does not cool much. So we do have some very hot nights and have not had heat problem with our memory foam overlays. We have had a similar experience of hot nights in our caravan during our travels over the last three years.

There are many qualities and grades of foam, the cheapest are the least dense and do not provide a lot of cushioning and behave very differently to the more expensive high density foams, if you go to Clark rubber you can see the different densities of foam on sale next to each other. Some years ago when we were younger and tougher we replaced the foam in our swags with a much higher density and more expensive foam from Clark rubber and that extended the life of our swags for a few more years. They still work OK, but we have got older and softer and now sleep in a bed. The foam on the link page, from AFE is an expensive grade of foam, more expensive than Clark Rubber, but a lot cheaper then Tempur (which is very overpriced, but very good quality). The foam on the page of the link is memory foam which is very similar to the Tempur product, but at more realistic prices.

http://www.afe.com.au/Memory_Foam_Mattress_Overlay.htm

It is really up to you what you buy, but you do get what you pay for, especially if you do your research on a product. The AFE stuff is not cheap, but works well for us. Again we have no link with AFD, just have used their product and like their made to measure service for caravans and are happy customers.

Dandy

Jan 18, 2014
Haven't got one for the van yet but we were shopping for beds today and after looking at various pillow top mattresses we found ourselves at ikea. Bought the kids new mattresses and found they have a range of mattress toppers which seem to give a few options, we bought the kids the a mid range. After looking at this thread it may be worth a look.

Heidi at

May 15, 2014
Werribee, Victoria
Thank you for all your replies, luv the advice - have decided to go with a 4inch memory foam topper from deals direct, should be lovely and thick so hoping it does a good job. Will be trying it out in next few weeks when we pop away for a weekend, I will give a review once we have tried it - not expecting I will be able to leave on bed though as its about 10cm thick.

Reactions: yabbietol