Just Browsing Which Expanda for me..

Roosterman

Jul 18, 2015
Hunter Valley
Ok....were off to Jayco Newcastle this morning to have a good look thru a 17.56-2, and perhaps the 18' expanda, be back this arvo with a quote.

Both sat down last night and purged our way thru some options for the van, which I will have included as part of the quote....plenty to think about.

Still undecided about NEW vs OLD, budget is deciding factor, that said we would be able to buy new, but just don't know what to do yet.....if it were my choice alone it would be new....lifes not like that though...

Have to sell my Off road CT first...hopefully wont be to hard, tweaking at present to spruce it up...

Anyway report back this arvo with some info for you to look over and add your 2 cents.

Cheers.

Rooster.

Reactions: dagree and Smirke

Roosterman

Jul 18, 2015
Hunter Valley
Rito went for a good look over the expanda today except they didn't have a 17.56-2 to look over, but had the 17.56-1 OB...they wont have a 17.56-2 OB for some months, if at all before the end of the year....so when we decide to buy it may happen without actually going right over it....if anyone lives around the Hunter Valley and has one and is willing to allow us a look thru it, it would be much appreciated.

So the quote, and if any body has any in put please do so,

The base price nationally for the 17.56-2 is $49,406,

Extras we thought was needed, again add your input/experiences

Ext draw bar $247
Tregg Hitch $320
ESC $1000
Ext table $240
Ext shower $378
Fusion Stereo $508
Control panel $206
TV ant $378
12 pin plug hot wire and relay for car ?? $350/400??

Not sure what the actual price is for the Plug, however, the cost of the options comes to $3277 minus the 12 pin plug, which as I said I don't know what the cost of this item is.

So once he took of his discount of approx $1600 off and you factor in the cost of the 12 pin plug ??, the drive away price quoted came back to approx, $51,000 neat.

I haven't haggled with any of the pricing to include options as yet, and am wondering what others think so far.

Other qst, I have and Anderson plug on the rear of my veh to charge batts on the move, but Jayco inform me that I need to replace my standard 7 pin plug with the 12 pin plug, and this will also charge the batts whilst moving....is this right...??

So that's it....let me know what you guys think.

Thanks in advance.

Tricky

Nov 10, 2012
Eltham Victoria
I think the van comes standard with the 12 pin plug. It works well to have a 12 pin on the vehicle that includes a hot wire to run the fridge etc whilst travelling.

Ring around on the price. you might find it's worth the time and effort!

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
We brought our van without seeing the finished model although the 16.67 was almost the same.
If your not been in a 17.56-2 maybe go for a drive down to another dealer.. A few people going 18" as they do not want the combo shower, has bigger fridge diff layout.

Sorry no idea what they sell new for after haggling? Melb show I took this pic what they had as show special
24111-42b89d3419092328a19fd62385e18edd.jpg
Maybe ring around and see what prices are elsewhere? I know people went 300-400km+ to pick up and saved $5k+ I also talked to a few people who got vans and got $3-4k extras for base price. Others like us got a $1-2k off.
Get a few quotes then see what they can drop and say you rather buy local.
Really its like buying a car...We went with the place we got our Jayco as the salesman made a effort to get info on the new van, plans etc.
The rest said wait for the Melb show.

Some people might PM you prices.. I am crap at negotiating :) Good luck

Roosterman

Jul 18, 2015
Hunter Valley
Howdy all, well after some advise from a member here (you know who you are), and more discussion with the dealer, I'm happy to say that we have paid a deposit on a 2015, 17.56-2 OB expanda.

Got a great deal thru Page Bros down in Vic, and after a little apprehension we jumped at it.

We got the extras listed above and a few more, so now the wait begins, delivery isn't until early to mid Nov, so plenty of time to organise a few mods..

More then happy to travel down to do the deal and take delivery, it will allow us to have a few days in it as a family on the return journey..

Now I come from a CT back ground, so now to get my head around this bloody 12 pin plug and charging the fridge on the move...I will post a few qsts in the tech section seeking some advise shortly..

To say the cook is happy is an understatement..

Thanks all for the advise.

Rooster..

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Nice work. We did exactly the same 3 years ago. Bought a 17.56.2 from page bros and had a memorable trip picking it up. Have fun!

Reactions: Roosterman

PeterV

Mar 25, 2015
Turramurra, NSW
Congratulations Roosterman,
If you have a portable solar panel, you may want to ask Jayco to put an Anderson plug on the draw bar. We are about 1 month away from taking delivery of our new 17.56-2 OB. We have upgraded from a Camp/o/matic off- road camper, to a Goldstream camper van and now to the Jayco. I'm also upgrading the electric brakes, replacing my old Hayman Reese unit with a Redarc Tow Pro

Mullo

Aug 21, 2015
Perth, WA
Hi Roosterman, I'm in the exact same position as you we decided to go 17.56.1 without the shower and toilet reason being it that the wife reckons she's on holiday and doesn't what to have to clean showers while we are away. We have just upgraded from a Swan and looked at both the 16 and 17 vans it was a no brainer for us the two weight is very similar but 12" goes a long way according to the wife !!