No Options Apply which 240V heater element for 3-W-Dometic Fridge, 90L

Hi,
It seems as the element is not working, the compliance plate has disappeared and I haven't got any paper telling me which model of fridge I am currently giving a lift all around Oz.
Do you know which model the 90L dometic fridge in a 2010, 17.56.2 OB is or what the model no. for a suitable 240V heater is?

TIA!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
https://www.caravansplus.com.au/appliances/fridges/3-way/

That link might help you ID your fridge, should be a label inside the door, if it doesn't work on gas then you have problems, otherwise the 240v heater element is pretty well standard across the smaller units. It may be the selector switch thats dicky though not the element, a sparky running a test on the circuit may save buying a heaps of parts on a try and see regime.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
So, a multimeter does have its uses!

Have you found the 240V lead coming from the fridge and checked that it is plugged securely into a power point, it is switched on, and that when you are connected to power, the power point is actually working? Best way to check is to plug another 240V appliance into the socket and check that it works.

What model Dometic fridge is it?

cheers
Mike

Reactions: Drover

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Thanks @Drover, Yeah, I never thought of the switch. Will see if I can find a multimeter and do some test.
As our car has completely broken down I have time now to sort out issues like a non-working fridge.
PS: runs perfectly on gas, just 240V is giving us a hard time.

TIA

Hi @Jack Lucy & Josh , sorry to hear you have another problem. The 240 volt element in your 3 way fridge is probably rated at 175 watts and is available to replace if necessary at around $120.00 if failed! But most UNLIKELY. Probably a switch related problem as explained by @mikerezny regarding connection of 240 volt power to fridge. Check all other 240 volt outlets to see if power available to these points. Most likely a switching selector problem ie. between "off, gas, 240v and 12v operation'". There is also a 20amp fuse at the top of fridge which may have blown (you have to pull out fridge far enough to access same). All up, with your limited knowledge and ability on the road, suggest you seek professional help as easier to check electrics first before pulling out fridge to replace parts.

Last edited:

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Hi @Jack Lucy & Josh , sorry to hear you have another problem. The 240 volt element in your 3 way fridge is probably rated at 175 watts and is available to replace if necessary at around $120.00 if failed! But most UNLIKELY. Probably a switch related problem as explained by @mikerezny regarding connection of 240 volt power to fridge. Check all other 240 volt outlets to see if power available to these points. Most likely a switching selector problem ie. between "off, gas, 240v and 12v operation'". There is also a 20amp fuse at the top of fridge which may have blown (you have to pull out fridge far enough to access same). All up, with your limited knowledge and ability on the road, suggest you seek professional help as easier to check electrics first before pulling out fridge to replace parts.

Last edited:

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Haven’t got a multimeter with me and to be honest no clue how to us it anyway. But one of our next stop will be at a family who’s Dad is a car electrician ;-)
But before we‘ll make it there we need to get our car running first ;-(

Where are you and what seems to be the problem with the tug?? How will this problem affect your timing into SE Queensland??

We are stuck in Mackay since 4 weeks we won't be in Brisbane before second week of November ;-(
Our car broke down, endless story of towing and clueless mechanics. We are waiting for the repair of the transmission controller unit but as NISSAN asks for 9K and our insurance only covers 1.5K so we are looking for cheaper alternatives.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Next time I cycle all around Oz ;-)

@Jack Lucy & Josh , it is a big, big country and not an easy journey for the less experienced and knowledgeable about vans and tugs. Still you have made it this far safely, so press on when you can. We are all waiting for you to complete your journey and write a book about your travels in this big land. Travel safely...when your tug is a goer again!!

Stayed with a traveling family where he is a sparky and we found out the heater element stopped working. 89 Dollars on eBay will do its job. I just wonder why can't they design a fridge (and a caravan) in such a way that you don't have to pull the fridge out to replace such a vital part. Design follows function.

coys 53

Oct 13, 2019
perth
We are stuck in Mackay since 4 weeks we won't be in Brisbane before second week of November ;-(
Our car broke down, endless story of towing and clueless mechanics. We are waiting for the repair of the transmission controller unit but as NISSAN asks for 9K and our insurance only covers 1.5K so we are looking for cheaper alternatives.
Gee here's me thinking I got ripped off when paying $7000 for my tranny on my lr3s
Alan

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Stayed with a traveling family where he is a sparky and we found out the heater element stopped working. 89 Dollars on eBay will do its job. I just wonder why can't they design a fridge (and a caravan) in such a way that you don't have to pull the fridge out to replace such a vital part. Design follows function.

Hello again @Jack Lucy & Josh , the need for replacement of a 240 volt heating element is very rare in the scheme of things, so consider yourself unlucky that way. There are lots more potential electrical faults that can occur with any fridge, 3 way or compressor type. Some parts have to be at the back!! Not to mention some problems that can cause hassles with gas operation too - dirty jets etc. Heating elements for 3 way fridges is one of the last things to check, but it does happen, and when it does, it is always a simple replacement task, but ONLY WHEN YOU PULL THE FRIDGE FORWARD OR OUT!! Thermostats and control switches are not much better.
Now that you have your fridge operating again on 240 volts, how are things going with your awning replacement and transmission repairs on your tug??

240 ELEMENT
should be coming today (had to wait until we are in Sydney for a postal address) Keep you updated if this fix is the real fix to the issue.

VINYL REPLACMENT
Haven't replaced the awning yet but need to sort that our rather soon. Any recommendations around Sydney?

TRANSMISSION
It's not the transmission that buggers me now, it's the starter that has gone cactus!

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
240 ELEMENT
should be coming today (had to wait until we are in Sydney for a postal address) Keep you updated if this fix is the real fix to the issue.

VINYL REPLACMENT
Haven't replaced the awning yet but need to sort that our rather soon. Any recommendations around Sydney?

TRANSMISSION
It's not the transmission that buggers me now, it's the starter that has gone cactus!

Well @Jack Lucy & Josh , you certainly have had your share of experiences in travelling around Australia. Your tug seems to be hell bent on bankrupting you. Right from the start, you had issues. Not a normal run with a reasonable vehicle. A real "lemon"!! Good luck in tidying up things in Sydney.