Where to stay???

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Hi,
we are planning a trip from perth to melbourne , sydney, goldcoast (theme parks), dubbo, the great ocean road, possibly adelaide and then back to perth. Well, we figured if we are driving to melbourne to get our new van, we may as well try it out a bit.
So far I have booked accommodation in Melbourne, Sydney, Gold Coast, Dubbo and Anglesea. Was in need of some local knowledge on some free camps between Gold Coast and Dubbo, Dubbo and Angelsea, and Sydney and Gold Coast. Also a nice place to stay on the great ocean road (western side, as we will be on our way home leaving from anglesea). We will be towing a 21-64 OB so will need places that are large enough for us, and we will be there over the Christmas/New Year period as well.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

crustt

Apr 17, 2013
A great place is www.marengopark.com.au 2km. west of Apollo Bay great position or Pisces caravan park 1km east of the bay, bigger better but sorta more urban both have good beaches, need to book now! I live around the corner in Marengo beautiful in the morning both have nice beaches.

Councils and national park rangers are cracking down on free camping and is pretty much illegal everywhere.

There are so many Feral idiots running around over Christmas you don't want to be out there with them with your kids.

Kennett river is also a great place to stay, quiet little place only 20 permanent residents, same thing book now. www.kennettriver.com

Port Fairy in the far west is a great town. I have not stayed here but the position is top notch and 2 minutes walk to a magic, huge lagoon ti swim in . www.portfairycaravanparks.com/node/11

Last edited:
Reactions: Smirke

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Thanks Crustt. Will check those today. Hopefully there is something left, as it was quite difficult getting the spots we do have. Especially when everyone wants you to book for 7 nights, when we only want the 1 or 2. (Shame there's so many ferals around. They really do spoil everything. )

Reactions: Drover

crustt

Apr 17, 2013
It's only the Christmas new year period that is out of control busy, it gets a quiet after the first week in january.

A good stop for a night or two after crossing the nullabour is Cactus, turn off at penong, kids are free, very laid back.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Unfortunately we are there just before Christmas . Will need to check where cactus is on the map. We won't have our van on the way over as we are picking it up from the factory on the 17th dec. , but if it's the other way then will definitely check it out.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
It's only the Christmas new year period that is out of control busy, it gets a quiet after the first week in january.

A good stop for a night or two after crossing the nullabour is Cactus, turn off at penong, kids are free, very laid back.
Right, just checked out where cactus is.will stop in there on the way home. Is it a caravan park or a freebie? (Ie do you need to call ahead?)

Reactions: Bluey

crustt

Apr 17, 2013
Not a freebie, $12.50 per adult, flushing toilets and 1 shower, no power. No bookings, just drive in set up and Ronnie the owner will come around on dark.
Some people call it rip off, some heaven, most are happy. There is a post in this forum covering it

crustt

Apr 17, 2013
It may have changed, but he won't be charging much.
There were 70 kids there at Easter

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
theres a place called Johanna past Apollo bay mad surf beach big camping area , port McDonald just over sa border is great woolwash van park on the beach at Johanna dirt road in, every time ive been on it very good its not a long way in good for vans but its not two lane google it , its Australia's answer to Hawaii waves when its working there huge

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Unfortunately we are there just before Christmas . Will need to check where cactus is on the map. We won't have our van on the way over as we are picking it up from the factory on the 17th dec. , but if it's the other way then will definitely check it out.
cactus is near penong I think ????????

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
theres a place called Johanna past Apollo bay mad surf beach big camping area , port McDonald just over sa border is great woolwash van park on the beach at Johanna dirt road in, every time ive been on it very good its not a long way in good for vans but its not two lane google it , its Australia's answer to Hawaii waves when its working there huge
Just saw where it was. Assume the red road in is a good one. Are there any facilities there can you recall?
If there's wave, my boys will be upset as we have to travel light, as there's not much room once you get the 6 of us in the car.

Reactions: Cheyne78

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Just saw where it was. Assume the red road in is a good one. Are there any facilities there can you recall?
If there's wave, my boys will be upset as we have to travel light, as there's not much room once you get the 6 of us in the car.
toilets for sure people can have fires I think but not much wood around many farmers in area road has allways been good beautiful country so green lot of milking cows rip curl pro moves there when no swell at bells there it probly 5 to 6 foot everywhere else flat but be carefull rips are strong very strong !!!!!!!!! but a great ocean beach to walk and be at port Campbell has a nice park in a little inlet nice little shoping street across road could ditch ur van there maybe u will stay there and explore the 12 apostles coastel park must walk down Gibson steps steps cut into the sandstone by fisherman I think very old only way to get down to the beach there its great must do !!!!!!! just near Peterborough carefull expencive van park there theres a boat ramp at the bay of islands I think just on the SA side very step !!!!!!!!!! a must see I wouldn't back a car down it many of the carparks at the coastel park are huge can pull in to them with vans but if u can use port Campbell as rest day and explore our beautiful coast vic police and councils aren't keen on people camping in carparks signs everywhere cause once ur on great ocean road not many if any free camps between lorne and Apollo bay carnt really stop turn outs for slow cars or vans for people to pass u such a great road best in Australia I think soldiers built it when they came back from the war its amazing wont get a better coast road can drive on many beaches in SA say Kingston to cape Jaffa don't take van though sand is hard 2 wheelers do it just something good to do any question's happy to answer if I can good park at Ceduna and Penong nice park on the beach at Whyalla mmmm that's good I don't know many free camping spots arrrr check out PILDAPPA ROCK in SA much like wave rock can camp there north of Minnipa east of poochera I will tell u about the whispering wall in the Adelaide hills another time or google it

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
please don't pic on my grama my wifes a teacher I cop it all the time where u picking up the van its a shame we will be in NSW Christmas and new year we could have caught up going to lake tabourie on the coast then to Maitland then on to my brothers at dubbo after new years be there the 3rd or 4th I think for a week or so

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Port Campbell looks quite central. We will be coming from anglesea, where we payed a small fortune for 2 nights. We were wondering about whether we could park the van in the car parks along the way, but given its the size of a small house, it would be a lot easier to park it and sightsee without it.
Definitely want to see what's left of the 12 apostles. If I understand correctly, the Gibson steps are at the same place as the apostles? Sounds unreal. ( may have driven from esperance to Kununurra in WA, but never driven the other parts of oz, so really have no idea where anything is......)
Thanks for the heads up with Peterborough. After anglesea's surprise I don't need another. I like the sound of the park at whyalla (My boys and I love the beach), and will definitely have to check up on the whispering wall. (Can just imagine the things my boys would be whispering to each other)
it's now 10 weeks til we are off, and we are looking forward to it. ( well. I am anyway. My boys just want to go to movie world and go on the rides!) tomorrow I will be printing a map and putting all the 'must do and see' places on it so I don't forget.

Reactions: dagree

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
yeh yeh see I knew it wasn't good wait till smirke corrects it with a red pen I will have home work next DOH !!!!!!!!
grammar? Wots grammar?? I tell my kids there's a reason I teach maths! ( besides, I'm on holidays at the moment, my brain shuts down for the 2 weeks.....unless I am talking to the bank guys or the accountant, which will be happening Wednesday)

Reactions: Bluey and dagree

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
please don't pic on my grama my wifes a teacher I cop it all the time where u picking up the van its a shame we will be in NSW Christmas and new year we could have caught up going to lake tabourie on the coast then to Maitland then on to my brothers at dubbo after new years be there the 3rd or 4th I think for a week or so
We will be in dubbo on the 1st n 2nd, out the 3rd. 3 people in my dept told me we had to see the dubbo zoo, so thought 'why not'. We are staying at the big 4 there.