Where have you taken your Outback

funstopper

Apr 2, 2012
Central Coast, NSW
Hi guys,

Still throwing up the idea of an Outback (16.49-4) due to the max tow weight of my Hilux.

Where have you taken your Outback that you could not have taken a Tourer.

Getting up driveways and or onto sites has never really worried me. So looking more at what type to trip that I would need an Outback considering that if you were doing serious off-road stuff you would take sometime similar to ultimate style camper.

Thanks

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com
purely just on ground clearance alone I too could get away with a tourer, but I like that the OB has larger brakes, stronger chassis, better suspension that can handle continued rough potholed, rutted roads than the stock suspension can.

I have certainly been in situations without going off road so to speak where im glad I had the extra clearance of the OB, so as not to scrape the arse of the van, & the draw bar. This also applies for the off road hitch, again I have unexpectedly dragged the van through places that im glad to have had the flexibility that the hitch provides over a solid hitch.

Some of these places have just been bush camps or pulled over on the side of the road sightseeing on the way to the destination etc

I have never taken this van or the previous van down a true 4WD track but I'm glad I invested the extra $ to get the OB

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
Weve taken our 16.493 just about everywhere ei- Tanami desert rd , Gibb River rd , Savannah Way , Birdville , Sztrez , Oody Tracks , Outback QLD , a fair wack of SA mostly outback dirt tracks , all of these places lve mentioned you wouldnt take a road tourer .
Love the height ive made our OB and their whole concept

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
I know a mates 17ft tourer drags in and out his drive way. My outback has gone to Cape York including part of the old telegraph track as well as to a few camping spots where I have dragged its bum on the way in. Have a lookin the trip reports section to get an idea!

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
Hi funstopper,

We've got the 18-57.6 OB. We recently went to the centre without a drama, did the Ernst Giles track from Kings Canyon to the highway, very rough and lost a few cable ties but thats about all, also did the Thorntonia/Yelvertoft Rd up to the Gregory Downs/Cammooweal Rd then took the Riversleigh/Lillydale Rd up to the Riversleigh Fossil site before going on to Boodjamulla NP(Lawn Hill) and then via Gregory Downs to Normanton, the Expanda never missed a beat the entire trip.

Dave

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Oodnadatta track out through the Painted Desert, Outback Queensland the dirt way from Winton and all the way south to Broken Hill which is a mix of Gibber rocks and sand covered roads. The extra height allows us to cross culvert drains etc too along with the odd shallow creek crossings. (Within reason)

Plus plenty of access roads into High Country campsites etc.

We have never had an issue doing this with our 2010 OB build.

Last edited:

Dove

Aug 14, 2013
Melb, Vic.
A little more mundane we now have a StarCraft O/B. It is easy to get up the driveway, doesn't drag on the cross over. We have been to a few free camps in Vic. Not bad terrain just a bit lumpy. The O/B went over the lumps and bumps happily. Our previous Discovery would have dragged in all of the above until we underslung the axle.

Remember an O/B is just a standard van with a suspension lift, a bit more chassis etc. The actual body and fitting are the same as a standard van. So take it easy on the bumpy bits or you might find the micro wave on the floor and the A/C fallen back into its cabinet.

hamish22

May 12, 2013
West of Newcastle
www.grmotorsport.com.au
Had a tourer 16.49 before my current Outback and its a no brainer!

With the Tourer was constantly getting a bar out to straighten up the rear jacks and forever digging a whole to put the jockey wheel at caravan parks. plus the chunks out of my driveway!

So far with the OB i have not had any of these problems!:)

Reactions: cruza driver

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Hey @funstopper and :welcome: to the forum also.

We have taken our outback down the Oodnadatta track and out through the painted desert and onto Coober Pedy. Didn't skip a beat. :)

I think it depends what you want to do with a van? I would think if you are asking the question then you are probably likely to go down some tracks.??

Good luck making your decision.
Cheers
Ants

GregW

Jan 30, 2013
Perth
We did the great central road last year, 1200km of dirt, sand, rocks and needless to say corrugations. The van was fully loaded for free camping for the 3 weeks. The only thing we broke was the shower door clip, but in saying that i did alot of prep work to dust proof and stone proof the van. I would not have a standard van, we love the dirt and the "nothin".