14' Series Where do you store your leg winders and jack? Other storage ideas?

Crew family

Mar 26, 2016
Melbourne
We picked up our fabulous 14.44-4 almost 2 weeks ago and have our first trip planned for Cup Weekend. Have a query re where people store the leg winders, jack winders etc as they came sitting loose in the front boot. I'm tempted to screw some holders in the front boot a la same as our old Eagle, but wonder if we have other boxes etc in there, the first things we need will be hard to get hold of. Has anyone put them under the bed end and not caused irreparable damage? Also keen for links on where best places to store: porta potty, weber, ground sheet, hoses/leads, camp oven etc are. Many thanks.

PhilW

Jul 12, 2015
Sydney. Northern Beaches.
Hi there @Crew family. We attach our winding handles via a strap to the jack which is mounted in the front boot.
I find the front boot is a top spot to store various items as you can access it from both sides of the van.
Great to hear you have your first trip planned. Looking forward to seeing some pic's:cheer2:.

jeff

Mar 4, 2013
200km south of Perth
Before you have your first trip try lifting the van with the jack. We recently had a tyre blow out and we had to jack up our 14.44.5, I grabbed the jayco jack but could not lift the van with it. (maybe I am weak) I was really thankful I also had an hydraulic jack. Our jacks live in the tunnel, every thing in the tunnel is packed in plastic boxes

Reactions: Drover and bigcol

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
We have 1m white plastic plumbing pipes fixed to the top of the tunnel to slide each winder into. Fits neatly about the BBQ. Other side of the tunnel has the camp chairs. A plastic create fits in the middle with stuff we don't need every time such as spare tent pegs, extra power cord, hand axe, etc. the table is secured under the front bed.

Reactions: Crew family

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Ours had plastic clips on the wall of the tunnel boot for the winders, and a plate on the floor of the boot in a stupid place for the jack.

Mick

Mar 15, 2014
Victoria
O' is that what that funny little thing is for in one of my other van's it was used to hold the bed up as it didn't have the suport screws to hold the frame
I did fix it when it was sold but it did live in the tunnel boot

Reactions: Crew family

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
14's are great vans, my old 14 had a Jayco scissor jack, if yours has one throw it away, they are a dangerous mongrel things and besides they won't lift the van anyway, so toss it in bin and buy a 2.5t mechanical bottle jack, hydraulic ones are okay but don't lay them down...............we had a front opening boot so jack and wheel tools sat in a small box and the winders/handles hung on clips on the wall.................
If your spare is bolted down check that the wheel brace will fit the nut.............could be another Jayco roadside surprise.

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
We picked up our fabulous 14.44-4 almost 2 weeks ago and have our first trip planned for Cup Weekend. Have a query re where people store the leg winders, jack winders etc as they came sitting loose in the front boot. I'm tempted to screw some holders in the front boot a la same as our old Eagle, but wonder if we have other boxes etc in there, the first things we need will be hard to get hold of. Has anyone put them under the bed end and not caused irreparable damage? Also keen for links on where best places to store: porta potty, weber, ground sheet, hoses/leads, camp oven etc are. Many thanks.

We have a 14.44-4OB
Our jack winder is clipped in I am sure in the front boot.
I had a shorter leg winder left over from our old CT so use that instead of the Jayco supplied 5ft long one and it is just tossed inside the front boot on the passenger side for easy access.
Rear boot - My camp oven is a snug fit in a standard milk crate that also has some other fire cooking implements. It fits neatly in the rear boot through the drivers side hatch. Also in this boot is a 60L tub that fits neatly (always maximise your space) with pots, butane single burner + canisters, small tarp, side privacy screen for the roll out awning amongst other stuff. Wheel chocks, some rope, water hose, ext lead, small tool box for emergency repairs and a few other bit and pieces.
Front boot - 4 x camp chairs, shovel, some kids toys (Frisbee, balls etc) ground mat for under awning, broom, dustpan & broom, hammer, and some other stuff.

I think you may get your Weber (depending on model) in through the rear hatch with CO and porta potty. Trial and error I am afraid.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Agree with the Jack comments, I have also got rid of my leg winder and use a 18v drill and a socket.

Yep... never looked back after just using the drill for the legs. I think the Gecko's manual winder is still clipped to the side of the front tunnel, but it's tucked away behind the jack mount as well. Weber fits in there too with the lid off. Everything else is also there in plastic boxes like @jeff.