17' Series Whats the best way to clean roof solar panels?

Duncanblake36

Nov 17, 2016
Doreen
Hi Guys,
Am away bush camping over Easter for the past week and a bit and a have had my 2 x 100ah batteries in the van go down to 18% even though the weather was beautiful and sunny. I run a Engel outside the van on freezer mode which normally is ok but not this time.

I have the 120w panel on the roof (which I discovered was covered in dust from the track to our campsite) and my second portable "follow the sun" 140w panel (5 years old) decided to die on me on day 2. Was able to borrow my dads 160w portable panel that saved me.

Anyway long story short. I've done a bit of online shopping and bought a new portable 140w light weight panel that can fit in my toolbox and an extra 250w panel to be mounted on the roof (to be connected to my Ctek D250s) so power should not be a problem going forward.

caravan.jpg

My question is..... Is there an easy way to clean your roof solar panels when the van is setup? or is it better to clean them when you pull up and the portable solar panel will fill in the gap if they get dirty during your stay?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I do mine a few times while I'm away a bit of morning dew added to dust and pollen and it sticks like the proverbial, once had pollen 1/4 inch thick over everything a right mess.

Duncanblake36

Nov 17, 2016
Doreen
I packed up the van last night and with the lid down I can access the solar panel ok by standing on the toolbox. I think from now on if I'm going to go down any bush tracks I give it a wash before I setup the van and if it needs a clean while were there I'll back the hilux up and wash it with the micro fibre mop we have for the van.

Do you guys know if there is any dust off polish you can use on panels to make cleaning easier?

Duncanblake36

Nov 17, 2016
Doreen
Mmmm. That’s a good idea. Need something for when I put up the annex up as the esky is just at little bit too short.

Also see if I can find an attachment for the mop handle so I can fit a squeegee.

eBay have the 2m ladders for $60 but I need it to fit in the toolbox on the front. May have to measure and see if it fits tonight.

I’m trying to minimise the amount I’m storing in the van as every space is now taken so I thinking of taking everything out and doing a complete repack/re-organisation.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I have a 3 step ladder which just lives okky strapped to spare wheel on back, doubles as ladder and coffee table.

Eddii

Jun 28, 2017
Burua Central QLD 4680
Bunnings sells those attachments that you’re talking about. I bought a fairly wide squeegee for my shed floor when I hose it down and it attaches to a normal mopping stick. If you could get close to solar with a ladder then just something to wipe it with would do the job. The telescopic ladder I have is 2m as well. It fits in the front tunnel booth. It’s great addition if you need to get up there for some other reason :)

Duncanblake36

Nov 17, 2016
Doreen
@chartrock those ladders look great and will fit in the front without issue. The telescopic ones I looked at are 4cm too long for my toolbox on the front so these are perfect. Thanks for the heads up.

A trip to bunnings will be on the cards for some other stuff so will pick up a squeegee as well.