QLD Whats happening, QLD .....

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Here we go anotherie in Western QLD, Hughendon Festival of Outback Skies, May 3-5 2024, top town ...

Huden.jpg
............................. https://festivalofoutbackskies.com.au/

Guesty

Jun 18, 2021
Adelaide
The usual entry for dragging a van along the beach is from Noosa, Rainbow Beach is never a great idea 99% of the time..... I have seen a few vans on the beach at Teewah but I wouldn't advise a large unit, towing a trailer was bad enough at times I found............ I haven't been over there for ages, just too crowded now so I give it a miss but I would want a flat beach and if taking a van certainly want some back up with me, since I live nearby I don't pay much attention to the camping spots now............................... Before you go get the latest beach conditions as it can all change in a matter of days....... The Ice Man at Rainbow Beach is one of the best places to get a beach report from as he's over there almost daily....
Thanks Drover, We'd be coming from the Noosa end anyway as the plan is to have the Christmas week in Maroochydore. Cheers for the tip, I'll give a call a couple of days before we head that way.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
That would be the way, study the tide table like a form guide and plan arrivals and departures to the tides, remembering we can have some pretty big tides here at Xmas so you would want to start on the beach an hour before LOW and be off an hour after low to give the best chance and to run up from Noosa end you will need 2 hrs... Long handle shovels, mats and a good compressor....... My best idea is run the beach with MT water tanks, carry MT Jerries or bladders which you can refill at freshwater with potable to fill you van tanks back at camp, the 100 odd kg less weight could be make or break..... A wheel barrow wheel, one of the fat ones is great if you can make a beach jockey wheel with one.. just for any sand dragging......
Buy permits online cheaper and for that time of year since they have limits get in early as it will be pretty chockers over there... The QPWS has a bulletin on conditions every week or so as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boots in Action

Hitting the road

Jan 14, 2022
Brisbane
Thanks Drover, We'd be coming from the Noosa end anyway as the plan is to have the Christmas week in Maroochydore. Cheers for the tip, I'll give a call a couple of days before we head that way.
Guesty... I've driven up and down the Teewah camping zones a couple of times, 1 through 7...or from the Noosa end 7 thru to 1 looking at the caravan option.
I'll see if I can find my summaries, as I had planned to take my Jayco up there, and still will once all the dust settles with my move.

I did take my camper trailer in there a while back with no real drama, though it only weighed about 1500kg and was single axle. I've also run down the beach from Rainbow to Noosa a few times dragging the camper trailer after leaving Fraser. I have seen a few quite reasonably sized tandem axle vans parked up camping at Teewah. As Drover wrote, tides are critical, we always try to be on the beach at least 2 - 3 hours before low tide, as you can always wait for the tide to drop if a section is a bit tight.

Low tyre presssures and momentum to get on to the beach, and again to get up to the camp spots. A set of at least 4 max trax, a compressor, and a shovel are ideal accessories to carry
From memory the Southern sites 7, 6 & 5 are ok but have some low hanging trees, good for camper trailers but full size vans could be a drama. I think I was looking at zones 3 & 4...some zones are quite short, and some have a small climb off the beach to the camping spots...most are reasonably flat... but don't offer space for more than 3 or 4 vans / campers with some space between you.
Teewah though has been getting a bit of a reputation of late as it is easy access from Noosa, and groups of hoons getting full of grog and bad manners can make the camping a tad unpleasant.
Avoid long weekends, Easter, School Hols, Christmas...

Guesty

Jun 18, 2021
Adelaide
Cheers guys, appreciate the knowledge. I think zone 3 or 4 is what some friends suggested too. We've camped on Perlubie Beach a few times so used to the soft sand, but there you camp on the actual beach section, not on the beginning on the dune.
Thats my only worry is the amount of clowns over there that time of the year. but will just have to see. Can't do much with the timing unfortunately.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Easter at Double Island Point, Teewah 2024:

If you thinking of heading to Double Island at Easter or even now I would think again, the beach at Rainbow is a no go for most pf the way to DI, last news for Liesha Track showed water right up to the boards on the Lagoon side with entries to Liesha and Freshwater pretty dodgy even at low tide .............. Looks like higher than usual Easter tides plus some storm surge is making a mess of the whole place ... Todays high was right up to the beach ramp at the surf beach....

DI.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Boots in Action