What type of BBQ do you cart around in your Expanda?

Triton

Aug 4, 2011
Moama, NSW
Thought I would throw up a pic of the BBQ we use with the Expanda.
It is a swing around BBQ from Hillbilly Camping in Emerald.
Just stick the spike into the ground and hang the rest off it.This pic shows the gas conversion set up, which is great to use in a caravan park, or when a camp fire is not allowed.
It really comes into its own when used with a camp fire though. Off comes the gas conversion set up and we cook with the coals underneath.
This pic shows the fry pan attached, we also have the BBQ plate that can be changed over.
We also have the arms that you can attach a billy or camp oven on.
It stores away in two canvas bags that fit easily into the front tunnel of the van.
We find that it is a really great all-round solution.
Interested what others use:peep:
img_2725.jpg

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
We're looking at the weber baby q100e at the moment. We have heard that you have to cook with the lid down all the time even when cooking steak and snags. Could someone kindly confirm as we need one for this weekend

crystal674

Jun 17, 2011
Benaraby Qld
We've a Weber Baby Q with a high lid.

You do cook with the lid down all the time.

It's really easy to use, just plugs straight into the van (don't use a regulator).

We cooked for 14 people the other day!

Crystalyn

Reactions: andrea

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
We're looking at the weber baby q100e at the moment. We have heard that you have to cook with the lid down all the time even when cooking steak and snags. Could someone kindly confirm as we need one for this weekend

we use it lid down and lid up works both ways

Reactions: andrea

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Webber Q 220 with the high lid and the temp gauge the best BBQ I have ever used hands down!!!!

Was very difficult to pass over the wads of cash for it but the SWMBO reminded me of the 5 BBQ's I have taken to the scrap heap after minimal so reluctantely I handed over the $$$$ and have never looked back.

We use it as a complete oven, we can cook two roast chooks in an hour or even use it to bake a cake or muffins and back to the simplest we can cook 15 piklets in around one minute.

Only caveat is the BBQ unlike others needs to have the lid down and let it warm up, you can leave the lid open but you must first of all let it heat for 5 - 10 minutes or you will be there for over.

That was the hardest thing for me I wanted to see flames, scorching meat and progress so leaving the lid down was like telling me I couldn't unwrap presents at XMAS with the kids!!!! After a while thought I got over it and the flavor of everything we cook on it justifies me getting over it.

When you look at the cost of an oven as optional extra on the extras list of an expanda I would choose to have a 220 over it any day as I can cook outside and also take it with me if not vanning :)

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
The Baby Q is great.

We are soon to collect our van with the bayonets front and back. We will get the hoses from our dealer. Am I right in saying that you use the van regulator and not the BBQ?

NissPat

Jul 30, 2011
ACT
We've got the q100 as well. Seems to be a popular choice. Does anyone know if it fits into the front storage compartment of an 18.57???

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
We've been using a Coleman Grill stove for the last couple of years. Does the job, with room for a pot and pan. I don't tend to cook directly on the grill plate part that is there, but put a pan over it, or use a solid (changeover) plate. The grill plate tends to burn too easily.
The knobs are too sensitive tho, with only a fraction of turn to go from low to high.
Since having got the van tho, with the bayonets, I found there is no option to run it without it's own specific regulator, so looks like I'll still be carrying a small 5kg gas bottle around till I replace it with a Q.

One thing I haven't decided on....where does everyone store them. I use the front boot for tools, and ramps, and jockey wheel etc etc etc so gets full up pretty quick.

2BurnerEI_LPGGrillStove.jpg

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Baby Q for us. Lives in the back of the car to keep the van floor free for road side stops.

On our recent trip we used it to cook every thing we would normally use an oven for at home. Muffins, apple crumble, roasts and our family holiday favorites................mini pizzas! :rockon:

PA150497.JPG

BeerAcan

Oct 19, 2011
brisbane qld
Nispat,

We have the baby Q and it fits with room around it in the front storage tunnel but i'm not sure how much bigger the Q100 is but i would think it would fit.

tim

Reactions: NissPat

jay70

Oct 16, 2011
We've got the q100 as well. Seems to be a popular choice. Does anyone know if it fits into the front storage compartment of an 18.57???
We have a q100, looking to replace with the 220 and yes it fits in the front boot of the 18.57

Jason

Reactions: NissPat

NissPat

Jul 30, 2011
ACT
Nispat,

We have the baby Q and it fits with room around it in the front storage tunnel but i'm not sure how much bigger the Q100 is but i would think it would fit.

tim

Yeah, the Q100 is the smallest to it should be fine...thanks