What rubber is the most popular?

theturnerclan

Sep 23, 2011
Toowoomba, QLD
Hey all,

Been off line for a while with work again, so a big g'day to all. I am now starting to look at new rubber for our 10/2010 Prado Diesel GXL. We tow a 2010 Expanda 16.49-1 OB with STD springs on the vehicle.

Criteria is 80-90% highway, 10% gravel/4WD tracks. nothing serious as my prado is black and I get smacked when I scratch it. very hard too I might add.

I am looking at 265/65R17 (OE size) and the list has been narrowed down to the following:

1. Cooper A/T3 in a LT construction

2. Mickey Thompson STZ

3. Pirelli Scorpion ATR

4. Bridgestone D697

They are all fairly close in price here in Toowoomba shops. The size will remain same as the OE tires (Grandcrap).

Any or all feedback will be received wih great appreciation and I expect to have personal love affair with brands thrown in too. You get with dedicated people.

Cheers to you all.

Rick DSC_0210.JPGstep 6.JPG

stormpatrol

Oct 26, 2011
newy/nsw
Hiya theturnerclan for my money you cant go past the bf goodrich at , i have checked and your size is available , as for your other choices the cooper and mickey the cooper is outright dangerous in the wet , the mickey has sidewall dramas (punctures) and the pirelli and bridgy rate highly pirelli no1 and the bridgy no2 . Getting back to the bf it is a true all rounder you wont get a better tyre to handle every situation as good as the bf . my two bobs worth , and yes have had all these tyres at sum point the coopers for 4 weeks sold them on ebay they were the worst wet weather tyres i have ever driven on. all these tyres were fitted to my GQ Patrol

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
I had 2 sets of Copper AT's just before the ATR came out on my Pathie was always pretty happy with them resonbably quiet onroad and good all rounder off road, go 90,000+ out of both sets and only 2 puntures, both of which where on road and one of which totally distroyed the tyre

My PJ came with Bridgestone 694 all terrians, while they have around 82,000 on them now should get around the 90 at a stretch and no punctures to date I probably wont get them again, very noisey, shouldered and chipped easily very early in the peice even with the regular rotation and balancing / 4 wheel alignment.

Drizzlingje

Oct 27, 2011
Got the BF Goodrich AT on my 150, and love them so far. Not too much additional noise over the hum of the diesel

Should have gone the silver mate:doh:

stormpatrol

Oct 26, 2011
newy/nsw
Got talkin with the cooper guys at the show today seems they are aware of the wet weather performance /or non performance of the atr tyres , they have a new tyre called the zeon should be a real goer they reckon , wait an see

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Navara came fitted with Bridgestone AT's, worn out at 40,000, had BFG T/A's fitted, lasted less than 40,000 now wearing Pirelli Scorpions, covered more than 40,000 and appear to be less than half way down. Very impressed so far with wear and performance.

stormpatrol

Oct 26, 2011
newy/nsw

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Tyres is one of those things that result in a lot of personal opinions, and you don't really know for sure till you try them yourself. (hows that for unhelpful:))
For instance, I picked up a set of micky Ts on some alloy rims off ebay. However, I couldn't get a fifth rim for a spare, so after a number of months, I reluctantly got rid of them. Personally I found them great, but others at the time were having all sorts of bother with the same type. They had followed a set of BFGs which I absolutely hated and decided never to buy again. They only lasted a few off road trips and were on sold. I settled for a set of Kumhos which were really good. If I could get them in my current sizing, I get the new Kumhos (KL71s I think) which i fitted to teh Pathy for the RWC, which are brand new on the market, more aggressive than the 78s I had, and I'm told will be marketed in the next couple of months with an 80000km warranty.

Good luck

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
I've had Coopers on the last 3 of my vehicles 2 sets of ATR's and a set of SST's + a set of H/T's on the missus's Xtrail and have not a problem with any of them Just put a set of SST Maxx on the Ranger and so far 10000 K's no problems

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Goodyear Wranglers are a great tyre. Used extensively on the mines in the NT where they are about 50/50 dirt/bitumin.

Had ours for 4 years and 60,000 km and plenty of life yet. I change them at 5 years though regardless of wear after an old tyre nearly killed me and the family in a tyre shredding blowout at 120 kph.

Retail for about $290 each. Check on line at Beaurepairs etc for deals.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
I've had BFG A/Ts on my last 3 rigs including the Patrol now. A great all round tyre from my experience.

My father inlaw, brother in law, and two work mates all have the new Cooper AT3's and i would consider them next time round, far better than the ATR they have replaced.

randl007

Oct 27, 2011
Queensland
Ok well here is my view. I have had a set of Goodyear wrangler with no dramas at all and I would consider again especially if goodyear have four for the price of 3, thats when they are excellent value for money. At present I have a set of Mickey Thompson MTZs which are really nice and a go anywhere tyre although a little noisy on the bitumen. Must admit with the buzz of the tyres and the purr of a diesel engine you just have to turn up the music.LOL as said previously its a matter opinion and you wont know until you try.

theturnerclan

Sep 23, 2011
Toowoomba, QLD
SHOULD HAVE GONE SILVER, YEP I KNOW.
Had a black hilux too, who would have thought. still shopping around for the right tire and BFGs, MTs, Coopers and possibly the Kumhos. Anybody usind Toyo ATs?
Got the BF Goodrich AT on my 150, and love them so far. Not too much additional noise over the hum of the diesel

Should have gone the silver mate:doh:

stormpatrol

Oct 26, 2011
newy/nsw
Navara came fitted with Bridgestone AT's, worn out at 40,000, had BFG T/A's fitted, lasted less than 40,000 now wearing Pirelli Scorpions, covered more than 40,000 and appear to be less than half way down. Very impressed so far with wear and performance.

40.000KS wow thats not real good must be sumthin amiss 90.000 plus out of my 5 or so sets, and running the old bf/mts now and close to 85.000 and plenty left in them cheers mate

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G'day SP. Yeah, I was not impressed with around 40,000Km either as I had them on my Isuzu Mu and did 90,000 which is why I fitted them to the Nav. Original made in USA but new ones made in Thailand. Happy with Pirellis.