Electrical What plugs/mods required for new tow vehicle?

Willo

Oct 19, 2014
Hi, Im guessing this is a dumb question so go right ahead and bag me if you want :brick:
....but can anyone tell me what plugs/hitch mods/e.t.c I need to install under the below configuration as I want to sort it before we get our van.

Tow vehicle: 2011 Sahara
Van: Either a 18.57-9 or 20.63-1 OB (still looking)
Also, is it necessary to add a 3rd battery as I see many have if Im not running a fridge inside the car.
:yo: Thanks

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
:welcome: @Willo

My thoughts on your queries are:
Plugs....
Depends if charging van battery and running the fridge. Minimum would be the standard 12 pin plug that Jayco fits and the Sahara wired to suit, bearing in mind that the 12 pin plug on the Sahara will have minimum sized cable running to it with possible voltage drop.
My preferred setup is a standard 7 pin plug on van and Prado with a separate feed to an Anderson plug fed by a 6 B&S cable running from my auxillary battery (Second battery) to feed the vans battery, fridge, and now ESC system. When running I get 0.2V drop at the fridge connection hooked into the Anderson plug.

Hitch Mods...
If able to I'd go for a WDH (Weight Distribution Hitch) as a minimum. Used one with the last van (16.49.3 towed with a 100 Series) and definitely noticed the difference with and without. If you can't fit a WDH I'd recommend fitting airbags to the Sahara if the rear drops when hitched up.

Third Battery...
Will let someone with a Cruiser with twin batteries answer that one ;)
No issues with the two batteries in the Prado and we run van as mentioned above and the waeco in the back off the second battery with no probs (So Far!!!!)

OH... And good luck with your search/decision. Whatever you decide I'm sure you'll be happy with it :)

Last edited:

Ss--ss

Jun 16, 2014
Hills district, Sydney
Hi Willo, when you say 3rd battery are you including the Expanda battery.. Dual batteries in the cruiser if it hasn't already got them is probably the best mod/addition as you can run 12v devices without flattening the starter battery & if the main goes flat you can start car with 2nd battery, good insurance if you travel into remote areas. 12 pin connector is good but Anderson connector with thicker wire is much better , you will also need to wire Expanda with Andersen to match.

Reactions: Willo

Willo

Oct 19, 2014
Thanks for the info gents!
Will do some homework on the starter requirements for the cruiser to see if I can instal the set-up Dagree mentioned.

Reactions: dagree

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
No bagging here @Willo this is one of the best forums I have found. Always ask any question you need to. Plenty of people to help and offer suggestions. If you are thinking it chances are someone else may be as well.

Welcome.

BJ.

Reactions: Willo and dagree

Racer

Jun 17, 2014
NSW
I'm running a 150 series prado with a 100ah under the bonnet. I installed an additional battery in the van making it 200ah. I opted for the 7pin and Anderson plug, I do not have esc either. I have an Anderson extension cable which I can plug into the vehicle effectively giving me 300ah of battery, when on 240v I plug in also which keeps my aux battery topped up.

Make sure you check when collecting a van that the wires used to run the fridge/trickle charge actually do what they say. Mine went direct to the fridge. I ended up linking to the battery myself, more of a maintance/slight trickle the way mine is set up.

I use standard ball and coupling with airbags in the rear. 200 series should skull drag anything, they are a tough unit.

Reactions: dagree