20' Series What Else ?? - 21.63 Outback Expanda

Oct 6, 2014
Bicton, Perth
Our tale of woe, maybe my husbands, started when we spent the weekend in the lovely Swan Valley with my brother/sister in law. Us in our Coromal Pop Up, them in their brand new 21.63 Outback Expanda. Setting the scene, it was pouring with rain. Bro/sis in law waving out the window with a hot coffee, us in our condom type raincoats winding up camper. Scenario conclusion for my husband - me stating never again but then the chain reaction starts.

Order 21.63 (final plans not done yet) for delivery in March 2015. Oh no, 2003 Pajero can barely pull small camper. Husband has to upgrade to Isuzu MUX. That's OK. Get out the measuring tape - oh no, doesn't fit down the side of the house where camper went. Now need a brick saw to widen the gate.

Then I get the heads up from dawn mark about awesome website which I start reading and OMG i think I liked ignorant bliss. Anyway, before we do final plans here's what i've asked the dealer already.

Blinds on skylights - they won't use the ones with blinds, reckon they're to flimsy and break. My brother had to retro fit 2 at $40 each.
Air cond - Is now standard Coleman Mach 3
Extra Cupboard - under the bunk bed
Sway bars - should we get Jayco to fit?
Electric mover for tight fit down the side?
Best towing gear?

Anything Else???!!!!

We are getting both entertainment packs (in and out), Annexe with wall in the middle to make a room,
and oven.

Thanks, all information greatly appreciated.

Reactions: bigcol and jacbaz

JaycoQ

Jan 7, 2013
Highton, Geelong, Vic
Congrats on the purchase
Our 20.63 has blinds on sky lights, must have changed on 21.
Here are my suggestions:
- Extra exterior light on annex side
- Extra exterior light on off side, helps with late night arrivals
- tv mount, we bought tv later
- picnic table
- extended drawbar, option to add storage
- Jockey wheel mount inside A frame, won't impede leveller bars
- look at your under seat storage. We added an additional hatch to access externally
Gee it's fun spending some else's money:)

Reactions: bigcol

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Watch us spend a few $1000 of yours.
Do you need Outback version? Anyway here goes.

Washing machine, my wife and a friend love theirs.
Double external powerpoint (from Sterling)
Outdoor table, I would go 2 if they fit.
Powerpoint on left side of annexe wall(near front tunnel boot), in case you want to cook brekky whilst annexe is up.
Outside shower, great for when you are near a beach.
Verandah on annexe and doors/windows on front and back walls.
Presume you are getting slide out, that's a must.
Do you need an extended drawbar.
Alko ESC stability control.
Sterling/Starcraft programmable lighting.
Do you need a bed converter.
Do you want to go leather interior :), now I'm being silly!

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
As above :)
I would go the ESC not sure if ESC or we just lucky have not had any swaying problems from trucks so far around 5k traveled.
What Bunks have you got? If fixed get a hatch.
Bike rack if you need?

With movers let me know if they can put in the Outback we where told in May you cannot do them with the new suspension. No idea why.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
As above :)
I would go the ESC
With movers let me know if they can put in the Outback we where told in May you cannot do them with the new suspension. No idea why.

double yes on the ESC a definite must with anything over 16'

@davemc - they dont do the Jayco movers on the new suspension as it attaches behind the wheel (the ones I have seen) mounted on the chassis.
Cvan mover.jpg
you may be better off with the "tank" type of mover.........
campertrolley_smallweb_1.jpg
seem to be ok, not sure on the pricing though

this one looks ok
jock wheel mover.jpg

http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Indus...-Mover-Jockey/Hallam/VIC/AdNumber=AD003776578

cheers

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
All good suggestions. To my knowledge you can't have movers on outbacks

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
cool @bigcol Jayco said I can do a buy and return on one of these. Not sure it get up our slope... Although he did say buy and return might see.. Out there this arvo to lessen said slope. Just worried with Jockey wheel one going up the slope it will slip and the van come with it.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
All good suggestions. To my knowledge you can't have movers on outbacks

can not see why you could not use the ones that go onto the Jockey Wheel or there abouts.....
mate of mine used to have one like that Jockey Wheel one - for moving 4WDs in and out of his workshop - so it cannot be the weight or the height..........

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
cool @bigcol Jayco said I can do a buy and return on one of these. Not sure it get up our slope... Although he did say buy and return might see.. Out there this arvo to lessen said slope. Just worried with Jockey wheel one going up the slope it will slip and the van come with it.

now THAT'S what I like......... probably have a price tag like my phone number..... 8 numbers..... but DAYAM............

the 20* is the kicker though isnt it @davemc - Im lucky, flat level ground

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Regarding the ESC. A friend just upgraded from a Jayco Swan to a 19ft 'non-Jayco' van. He has towed boat etc for many years, and on the way home from the dealer said the movement of the van from wind and trucks was quite un-nerving.

We pick ours up on Sat, but I had the ESC installed. In the big picture, its peanuts for the protection it provides your family. Caravans go arse up on a regular basis

I know its been posted to death, but its worth a re-run

Reactions: ShaneT and bigcol

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
can not see why you could not use the ones that go onto the Jockey Wheel or there abouts.....
mate of mine used to have one like that Jockey Wheel one - for moving 4WDs in and out of his workshop - so it cannot be the weight or the height..........

Yeah I should clarify referring to the movers that attach to the chassis and drive the main wheels. Can't see a problem with the other options either

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Hi @Melanie and Gavin Cockran . We have on order a 21-64 OB like your bro/sis I.L.
With the skylights, we told them to remove them and give us 2 of the 4season hatches instead. They said yes to this. (We didn't like the heat or light coming thru so I use to put alfoil on it.) Not sure if that helps you in any way.
We are just round the corner from you......palmyra, and will be back with our van sometime before school starts next year if you want a look. We also have done away with the ensuite and have cupboards instead. ( I got 4 boys, 5 including hubby, and I'm the one who cleans the mess, so out it went!)

Oct 6, 2014
Bicton, Perth
Thanks everyone,
I'm thrilled with all the info, hubby's face goes a little contorted and odd colour when I tell him all about the extras. Oh what the hell, it would only go to the tax man. Thanks Smirke, I went for the ensuite because I have a special needs son (18) and spent last easter in Bridgetown Caravan Park waiting outside the disabled toilets and showers so I could tend to him. Hopefully having a shower I can put him in without all the hassles and I can enjoy my time a little better too.

Keep sending info....really appreciate it. We just need to sell our Coromal Camper with slideout. So far last weekend we took it down south and two of the three brackets that hold the boot on flew off ($50) and just dropped the side canvas in as we showed some prospective buyers yesterday and he ripped the bed out and it got caught on the canvas (price tag not sure yet) bugger it!!! Always the way, been excellent till the last couple of weeks.

Thanks for all the pics and videos, really helps to understand.

Reactions: Smirke and bigcol

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
A must?? Wow ..... that hurts !!!

Isn't the slide out standard in the big expanda vans now, I thought the option was to delete it. That's what a dealer told us. From memory you saved $600 or so dollars deleting it, but it was a $2000 option on last years model to have the slide out. Happy to be corrected.
Plus my wife wouldn't have an expanda without one now, but I was having fun spending someone else money:).

Oct 6, 2014
Bicton, Perth
I don't think we had the option not to have the slider with the 21. I guess we got used to our kitchen sliding out in our 391 Coromal Offroad. For a small van it was extremely roomy just by pushing the sink and a couple of cupboards out.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Isn't the slide out standard in the big expanda vans now, I thought the option was to delete it. That's what a dealer told us. From memory you saved $600 or so dollars deleting it, but it was a $2000 option on last years model to have the slide out. Happy to be corrected.
Plus my wife wouldn't have an expanda without one now, but I was having fun spending someone else money:).
Yeah it is ......... but I deleted it

Reactions: macca