What CB do you recommend and WHY? Highway Driving and Offroad.

Big Gee

Apr 8, 2011
The ACT
Thanks seanparky, I just ordered from a tx3340 from www.ryda.com.au so I missed the mark with the UHF but got the antenna spot on.

Ive seen GME's cop absolute floggings over the years so I thought the best option was GME.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
I had a GME TX3200 for about 7 years but once i sold the Patrol, it went too.

This time round i had a tight budget and went the Uniden UN7700NB with AT870 Antenna. The kit also came with a great little handheld unit, great for the kids round camp or talking others through tight spots when you are out 4wding.

So far i'm happy. So compact, and the speakers are so clear and loud these days. If i purchased the same products from ARB etc i would have paid about double. There are some very well priced bundles out there at the moment.

I got a great deal on fleabay (new), but have also gone through a company called Gadget City directly before.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I have just installed my new Icom 440 which works like a dream. The unit is mounted under my seat and the mike/speaker/controls are hanging on the dash. Very happy with the unit. :yo:

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Hi All

I have the GME TX4400 and have had for about 3 1/2 years. It has not skipped a beat. As others have said, research your antenna as this is critical for the type of country you will be driving. 3db is shorter distance but mpore versatile in the hills than 6db and 9db. I have a 6db for everyday use but when i go on trips that are flat country, on goes the 9db. :) :bounce:

coled1970

May 27, 2012
Hunter Valley, Newcastle
Hey deano,

We have the icom 400 pro in a roof console. Don't really use it alot unless travelling. Bit of a s--t to set up but a good unit once you do set it up. not a 100% sure on the aerial but it is a GME, white fiberglass mast with spring base, and i think its a 6gb gain. had no issues with it at all.

Cheers.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
The Icom 400 pro is the best UHF on the market, it's a25 watt commercial pro model tuned down to 5 watt, it's build quality is faultless. There 440 ( remote head unit) is not a commercial pro unit but still made to icoms very high quality and is one of there few non comercial products. Matched with a good attenna these pretty much out perform most UHF. All the other UHfs are made for domestic applications but still perform very well in same. My biggest gripe with the remote head units is they are not as easy to change channel or settings as a din model. I have an old GME in the ute that's been flogged to death and still going strong, love it's simplicity.

With attennas that's been covered well, just note that stainless whip attennas will fail on diesel vechiles due to vibration, it will take its time with modern vechiles but thy do work harden and crack, I have seen it twice and if you can get your stainless bit back you can ussaully fit it back in and go again ( they crack at the mounting into the elevated feed) although I don't like the way the attenna top bounces over the bonnet at speed.

For very high quality fiberglass and rubber attennas check out ZCG scalar, Australian made and not much difference in price to the other brands. There fiberglass 1.1 m up have stainless caps to protect the aerials top from car parks etc.

Cuey

Jan 31, 2012
Hi All.

We Run the ICOM 440.

This allows us to put the main unit under the dash. The Fist mic runs everything including the speaker, very handy and now the ICOM 440N runs with the 80 channel spec.

Cuey.... ic440n_thm.jpg