What are the options for annexes?

KidHauler

Nov 13, 2017
Melbourne
Hi all,

I've just recently purchased a Jayco Toyhauler with the intention of living in it for 6 months or more next year. We've got quite a few kids and wanting to max out our space with a nice annex. Consequently we're after the full package - annex walls, porch, extra room, and even an annex over the drop down back door of the toy hauler.

We love the look of, and have read many positive reviews about Australia Wide Annexes, but after receiving an initial quote, calling several times to hopefully get more info (& not getting anywhere), eventually having a sales consultant call back (who was actually quite helpful), "accepting their quote" and then hearing nothing again..... filling in their feedback form & then hearing nothing again, I GIVE UP! If it's that hard to actually buy it, how can it possibly be any better if there are any issues!

So, what are the alternatives? I've spoken to Alpine Annexes, and they're definitely helpful & friendly enough, but they can't do the vinyl bottom section. I'm about to speak to Tebb's. Are there any other options?

(I'm in Melbourne)

Vere

Oct 5, 2014
Adelaide
Sorry to hear about Australia Wide. I had the same problem but just figured they did not like me :)
The last correspondence was when I confirmed I wanted to purchase. That was a year ago.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Not much help but I can advise only buy the set up from someone who will measure up your actual van, don't buy off the shelf near enough will drive you mad after awhile.

KidHauler

Nov 13, 2017
Melbourne
Thanks Vere!
Out of shear curiosity or was it indignation? (who could not like ME?) I gave AustraliaWide one last chance and called and expressed my frustration. It appears that they are having problems - and probably for well over a year then - as they swear they had received no notification of my accepting the quote, my feedback form, or of my emails... But they had received other peoples... It will be phone only for me from now on! However they did apologise and booked me in for a measure & fit on Friday.

Thanks Drover - do I need to be present when they do this? Or can I trust them to do what needs to be done? (I have zero experience in this)

Thanks geedub, the HolidayAnnexes' extreme wall kit looks really nice! Do they service Melbourne or is it only Newcastle/Hunter Valley?

Reactions: Drover

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Australia wide got rid of there installer in melb a while back older fella very good at his job he done ours im still in contact with him be interseting whos fitting them now make sure he knows what hes doing experience counts for everything

KidHauler

Nov 13, 2017
Melbourne
I think they said his name was John. They said it was one of the most experienced guy they've got. Hopefully they got your guy back!!!

geedub

Aug 23, 2017
Sydney
Thanks geedub, the HolidayAnnexes' extreme wall kit looks really nice! Do they service Melbourne or is it only Newcastle/Hunter Valley?

Only Newcastle/ Hunter but they seem to do a lot of Base stations. It might be worth giving them a call.

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
I went and saw Australia Wide at the caravan and camping show 2 years ago and filled in a order form (but did not give a deposit as I wanted them to come out and talk about exactly what I wanted) they told me that the local bloke would call me in the next fortnight but I never go the call, called them about 3mths later and they said "sorry we had a few issues, but we will get him to call you as soon as possible" never got the call so i gave up on them.
Its a pity because anyone with one of their products loves them but obviously they are either very unorganised or just forgetful/don't care.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Sounds like they have franchise problems.....Had an annex years and years ago, drove me nuts, needed it as had the whole tribe, same with a later one, Big Mal has one, weighs about 40 Kgs, is huge, stays in shed too heavy and much stuffing around., only 2 of us now .

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
We've got an Australia wide annexe that we ordered from the Geelong caravan show just prior to picking up our van. Once the van arrived they came out and measured and fitted the anti flap kit and sail tracks. They then returned to fit up the annexe and found fault with the draught strip measurement and had to get another made and returned at a few weeks later. I could not fault their service with us and didn't ask at all for full payment until we were happy. I have had 4 annexes and theirs is miles ahead of the others and I will have no hesitation in getting another one off them for our next van should i need it.

Reactions: G Daddy

KidHauler

Nov 13, 2017
Melbourne
Thanks for all of your replies. Well things have been much better with AustraliaWide now that I've got a specific name to ask for. Sent me a few pictures from his phone and has been directly contactable ever since... ;) Deposit paid and getting built as we speak - can't complain about the turnaround time!!
We'll see how this all turns out. But I'm encouraged by their offer that 17triton mentioned. We don't have to pay the full amount until we've received it, set it up and are completely happy.

They've also been happy to build the annex for the rear of the basestation with a few specific features I've wanted:
  • Annex to extend past the drop down door to the ground so that I can shut the door without pulling down the annex.
  • Flaps along the sides at floor level, so that when the door is horizontal, they can fold down and velcro to the door. (To stop the kids toys falling down the sides)
Only other thing to note is that I have to sign saying that I'll get the gas disconnected from the fridge because it vents into the annex. Not a problem for me.

Dandy

Jan 18, 2014
We bought a Tebbs annexed when we bought the expanda. They were ok to deal with. We ordered front and rear doors with flyscreen and also the horizontal stripe canvas. We didn’t realize at the time that the way the walls zip together is quite good compared to some other but found our set up was much easier than a mate’s. If you’re in Melbourne it may be worth dropping in to see them in Dandenong.
08E92C23-F371-4437-AF48-E5D7389A0A27.jpeg