Wet beds and canvas. Is this a common problem with expandas?

seanparky

Jul 19, 2012
Brisbane
Hi was in another thread and read people are changing over to discoverys from the expandas as they are sick of wet beds and canvas. Is this a common problem, can it be fixed. Whats ur thoughts people interested to know. Not sure now whether to go for the expanda or discovery. I do prefer the style of the expanda but like everyone want to feel comfortable and dry. Cheers

bully66672

Jun 30, 2011
Melbourne
I've had this style of camper/caravan for abot 10 years now and have never had any real issues.
Small amount of Moisture after heavy rain but nothing worth worrying about.
Friends and family with conventional type vans have had more issues.

Cheers

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi seanparky,

I've had ours for 3 years now and no real dramas. I just spent the weekend in some really crappy weather, rain and strong wind blowing straight into the front bed. The blanket only got slightly damp near the edge and that was with no canvas fly, I have ordered another expanda but will get the canvas fly this time. So I'm happy with it especially with the extra room it gives you.

Cheers.

D4Dazz

Dec 31, 2011
Rowville, VIC
You will probabaly find the people that are complaining of wet beds had the old style Expanda that had the hard lid that folded down and not up. Effectively you bed was as exposed as a dove, eagle swan ect..... with the newer hard lids you are allot mor protected from the elements. Through in a privacy screen or a canvas screen if you want toatl protection and you have no issues at all.

But dont get leaks and moisture confussed. In colder climes you will always get moisture in your van due humanoids expelling hot air when the sleep.....no not that sort of hot air!!

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Not to rock the boat but I love expandas otherwise I wouldn't have made the website :)!!!

We had two expandas both hard lids models a 16.49.2 and a 17.56.2 over a period of two years roughly and now have moved onto the discovery.

The wet bed ends certainly annoyed us but I think overall its more a personal choice and where you are at in life with the size of family, style of travelling and locaiton you live etc etc....

For us we travel a fair bit sleeping at rest stops so whilst the expanda was great it added time to a simple stop over.

Adding in then staying at places that get hammered with rain it often felt like the expanda bed was a magic carpet and I was going to wake up in a twister on my bed we decided to go to a discovery.

If we had younger kids / less time on the road itself then we would have made the canvas work with extra flys and the like but for us it made sense as the kids had grown up a bit to get a completely differnt type of van.

Either way with or without the expanda you will be happy with either one as they are both really excellent vans and will suit either situation just fine.

There is also obviously a thousand excellent ideas on here about how to overcome wet bed ends so there is no shoratage of people willing to tackle the problem head on and some of the designs I have seen are simply excellent and surprising Jayco R&D doesn't step up to the plate a bit more.