Weather-proof bed ends

Triton

Aug 4, 2011
Moama, NSW
Just picked up van from a stint at the local canvas guy in Echuca. Had weather-proof bed ends made as has been posted else-where on here (thanks for the ideas guys!).
Cost $100 each, reckon they'll do the job:biggrin:
Now just need some torrential rain to test them out.....maybe we will get that this weekend while we are checking out the Cobram RACV Park!:rain: img_2727.jpgimg_2728.jpgimg_2729.jpgimg_2730.jpg

Reds

Oct 31, 2011
Berwick Vic
I just watch the weather and I think you might get that rain you want on Friday night and Saturday there's a truck load on its way down fom Sydney.
Could you please advise what the RACV Cobrham is like your stay. We are booked into the RACV Innverloch over xmas new year.

Cheers
Red

Picking up 16.49-2 on 21 Dec 2011.

Triton

Aug 4, 2011
Moama, NSW
I like the idea. Do they click on the existing press studs.

G'Day Stuart.....yep, they attach to existing studs, the canvas guy had to fit them as it is quite a fiddly job, you cant just duplicate the privacy screens as they stretch some-what.
Got the idea from a couple of other guys on here....if you trawl through some of the older posts you will see other examples.

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
Cheers thanks for that. I might see if our local trimmer guy can do the same. What sort of material is it made of. Is it like a plastic

Triton

Aug 4, 2011
Moama, NSW
just out of curiosity
how much are the normal privacy screens worth
cheers tab and jim

I just checked my receipt and remembered the privacy screens were thrown in as part of the deal to sign us up before we added a few other extra's on, so they are not separately priced....however there is a set advertised currently on ebay that says they are valued at $310

Reactions: Jim and Tab

Triton

Aug 4, 2011
Moama, NSW
Just started raining here in Moama.......reckon we will be getting a chance to put them to good use tomorrow in Cobram:rain:

Out of interest....who has experienced wet bedding as a result of rain getting onto the canvas before?

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
The first night after we picked up our van we left it out with the ends open and it rained fairly heavily that night. The rear bed mattress was fairly wet along the edges. We did realise that the van was not anywhere near level though and all the water pooled in the rear corner before running off. Having said that, whilst away they did get slightly damp a couple of times due to rather heavy rain.

I reckon the waterproof ends are a great idea..

Triton

Aug 4, 2011
Moama, NSW
Well.....as predicted, the bed ends were put to good use at Cobram RACV park on the weekend.
We didnt use them Friday night, the rain was only light, however there was heavier rain Saturday and Saturday night. The first sign of a good shower saw me rushing to change the ends over and they then stayed on until we packed up. :)

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
When we had the Swan, the instruction was to wet the canvas and let it dry, then wet it again. This "allows the stitching to expand into the holes caused by the needle stitching of the canvas, and it will therefore tend to make your ...canvas...more waterproof" I see in the owner's handbook, it says the same.

I haven't done this yet myself, but those who have experienced moisture problems through the canvas, did you do this and it still occurred?

NissPat

Jul 30, 2011
ACT
When we had the Swan, the instruction was to wet the canvas and let it dry, then wet it again. This "allows the stitching to expand into the holes caused by the needle stitching of the canvas, and it will therefore tend tomake your ...canvas...more waterproof" I see in the owner's handbook, it says the same.

I haven't done this yet myself, but those who have experienced moisture problems through the canvas, did you do this and it still occurred?

Yes, cureing the canvas is a very good idea and is a must in my book.
In my case it was the doona touching the canvas that absorbed the moisture. I don't think it was leaking as such.

Reactions: straydingo

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Just started raining here in Moama.......reckon we will be getting a chance to put them to good use tomorrow in Cobram:rain:

Out of interest....who has experienced wet bedding as a result of rain getting onto the canvas before?

We did before our cover was made, but not now.

We used our cover heaps on our VIC trip and it worked a treat. I did notice when there was lots of rain, water pooled on the canvas above the bed, i think it was getting through the hard lid hinge, like a slow drip. I have to investigate further.

After my canvas guy made mine, he suggested in future making one out of shade clothes that is tightly woven as is has a bit more give and would still keep water out. Not sure i agree but maybe someone out there wants to try it.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
We did before our cover was made, but not now.

We used our cover heaps on our VIC trip and it worked a treat. I did notice when there was lots of rain, water pooled on the canvas above the bed, i think it was getting through the hard lid hinge, like a slow drip. I have to investigate further.

After my canvas guy made mine, he suggested in future making one out of shade clothes that is tightly woven as is has a bit more give and would still keep water out. Not sure i agree but maybe someone out there wants to try it.

This is one way the water gets on top of our bed ends, was going glue or silcone something to extend the hinge line out to the edge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiGT3deH6Xk

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
When we had the Swan, the instruction was to wet the canvas and let it dry, then wet it again. This "allows the stitching to expand into the holes caused by the needle stitching of the canvas, and it will therefore tend to make your ...canvas...more waterproof" I see in the owner's handbook, it says the same.

I did mine also but it still gets damp around the stitching mostly around the zippers, there's a paint on product available just not sure of the name, I'm going to give that a try when i get around to it :ohwell:

satyoga

Aug 3, 2011
Sunshine Coast
Yeah great video
had our shakedown on the week end in the rain.
Van was awesome but did get a pool of water above the bed after one night of heavy rain.
Let me know how to fix boys

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
Yeah great video
had our shakedown on the week end in the rain.
Van was awesome but did get a pool of water above the bed after one night of heavy rain.
Let me know how to fix boys

Yep ! haven't been out in our van yet, but the leaks trough the hinge concerns me a bit.
I think it also leaks when the hardlid is closed. On our trip home from the dealer we had a small amount of water get in through the front lid & get down behind the bed base, wetting the canvas....... It was one hell of a downpour on the road home...
Is anyone aware of a fix to stop the water getting through the hinge? I'm sure with all the input on this site we will come up with something.....

Cheers,

Paul