17' Series We almost have our new 17.56-2 Expanda Outback

Troy Moncur

Mar 23, 2012
Mildura, Victoria, Australia
A quick intro... we have a Jayco OB Swan and are trading it in for a Jayco 17.56-2 Expanda Outback.

Mum, Dad, 3 boys - 3,5,7.

We did a trip at Christmas from Mildura to Monkey Mia return. It was the best thing we ever did.

We are looking for a little more convenience and luxury next time... Got a little tired of winding up and down all the time, air con a must, and just to be able to pull over to the side of the road and access the van for lunch/sleep etc
This is why we upgraded.

We are very excited... unfortunatley we have to wait another month as it was delayed out of Melbourne..

So for our trip to Mackay next week we will be taking our swan..

Its great to read through the posts, especially with photos. We to will look to do this as well..

Couple of things i will be searching for will be;
-how to change our lightbulbs inside the van to LED
-the best BBQ option.. ( we did have the slide out BBQ optioned, but because of our bunks we couldn't get it, bit of a bugger
-how to carry the 3 kids bikes

We have a 2008 prado, and i will be really interested to the difference in towing/fuel etc to the Swan.

ok, i'll leave it at that!

THanks
Troy!

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
LED's - Jim & Tab are your go to. See the thread on Tech Forum (I think).

We have a Petrol Prado and went from Eagle to a standard 17.56-2. Our fuel went from 14l/100 k to 18l/100k. Measured over 1800 km so pretty right. Yours is an OB so will sit a bit higher and of course a bit heavier, but there's a rough guide I guess.

BBQ - We have gas bayonets front and rear & use a Weber BBQ. For travel I wedge it in under the small dinette, cover it with an old Duvet Cover and put the annex on it. Worked out fine. We didn't want to lose the dinette either but honestly, I think you will prefer a free standing BBQ: I know we do.

Bikes - Roof racks on the Prado?

You'll love the 17.56-2, we (2 Adults - well the wife and me the big kid plus 15 yo girl and 12 yo boy) do!

Congrats!

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Hiya Troy,
You made the right choice. The 56.2 is perfect for our family needs. The wife loves the toilet/shower option. The full annexe comes into play when we do 3 nighters or more.
If your passing through Bundy on the way up or back from Mackay, feel free to pop in to Bargara.
Cheers Deano

busybusymum

Oct 23, 2011
Albury/Wodonga
We have had ours only 2 weeks but really love it - great selection with 3+ kids. We love the Weber - great as we also use it as an oven - always cooking roasts and have even done cakes and self saucing pudding in it