WDH for The Challenger

D4Dazz

Dec 31, 2011
Rowville, VIC
A recall a few member who are using Mitz Challengers as tow rigs. Can anyone give me some advice on what, if any, WDH you are using.

I was getting a bit of tail sway which I have nearly sorted out with re-packing but I'm still getting that annoying bouncing feeling when you go over dips ect in the road.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Just a thought, I noticed that your Expanda sits a little nose high have you tried a drop tongue to see if that makes a difference? I know it helped with mine as it was nose high due to the suspension lift.

Another option might be to add a packer under the hitch like a few others have done like Moto Moto and Chartrock have done on the 14's.

D4Dazz

Dec 31, 2011
Rowville, VIC
Thanks Cruiser.... That was actually my first thought but the bar on the hitch is only about 5 or 6 inches long then is stopped by a backing plate in the receiver so it will not foul the spare tyre. Dame Mitzy!

Might have to buy another Toyota!

randl007

Oct 27, 2011
Queensland
Hi D4Dazz,
We have a 2010 Challenger and are towing a 17.56.2. Jayco would not fit a WDH to ours as we had a Mitsubishi tow bar. I have raised the suspension and had poly airs fitted which seems to be quite good. I have only towed it once so far but had no sway even at 100kph. We also have the prodigy P3 brake controller which you can apply the brakes if you get sway. Not sure if this helps but if I can help with anything else let me know.
Richard

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
I've been using a WDH towing my 16' with my NT pajero with a factory tow bar....maybe I shouldn't be after reading what randl007 said?

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
G'day Matt,

It got me thinking because he said Jayco would not fit a WDH on his Mitsubishi tow bar, now I'm wondering why and should I go to a hayman Reese bar? I'll have to read my book!

Cheers

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Ah OK.
I used to have an NP Pajero with the factory MM bar and used a WDH with that no problems.
I think the issue is specific to the Challenger because the spare is located underneath just in front of the towbar, thereby prohibiting a longer WDH from protruding through the receiver as there is a plate behind.

Cheers,
Matty

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Looking in a MM Pajero accessory book a WDH should be fine with a factory bar, I'm pretty sure Bushman runs the factory bar and HR WDH. Mitsubishi sell there own WDH to I think.

Burnsy I think you should be fine with the Paj.

Sorry for the hijack Dazz.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Just a thought, I noticed that your Expanda sits a little nose high have you tried a drop tongue to see if that makes a difference? I know it helped with mine as it was nose high due to the suspension lift.

Another option might be to add a packer under the hitch like a few others have done like Moto Moto and Chartrock have done on the 14's.

I don't know why the outbacks have the hitch on the bottom of A frame when most if not all are towed by 4WD'S. To get mine level i had to buy the extended adjustable hitch, the 200mm one i think for the WDH and then cut off the excess so it wasn't to low to the ground. Iv'e noticed the on roads are on top of A frame i think it should of been the other way around.

wanderer20

Dec 20, 2011
South Australia
Hi D4 Dazz,

am towing a 2011,17.56.2 behind a 2011 LS Challanger. It was recommended by the Mitzy dealer not to get the Mitzy towbar as they cannot handle a WDH system.

I fitted a heavy duty Allens (Adelaide) 3 tonne tow bar with a EZY-LIFT WDH and have had no problems with sway or bounce in approx 10 trips since Ost 2011.

I travel t around the 90kph for most of the time and had some windy days on some of these trips.

Good luck, Regards

randl007

Oct 27, 2011
Queensland
Ah OK.
I used to have an NP Pajero with the factory MM bar and used a WDH with that no problems.
I think the issue is specific to the Challenger because the spare is located underneath just in front of the towbar, thereby prohibiting a longer WDH from protruding through the receiver as there is a plate behind.

Cheers,
Matty

I think you are right. It is specific to the Challenger and the Mitzy towbar. I believe other makes are OK. When I mentioned it to the Mitzy service department they had no idea what I was talking about with the WDH, so not sure if they actually do one.

D4Dazz

Dec 31, 2011
Rowville, VIC
Matt, you are spot on.

I also have a 2inch Old Man Emu Lift which is the medium rated sp;ring, up to 200kg. Sag is pretty good and is not really an issue. I try try the
50ml spacer under the hitch and if I still get a bit of sway I will add the "intermediate" WD system that uses the existing goose neck and 4 bars. Its up to 135kg ball weight, but I figure fully laden I may have added 20kg to the ball weight at best.

Might call Haymen Reese first though.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Looking in a MM Pajero accessory book a WDH should be fine with a factory bar, I'm pretty sure Bushman runs the factory bar and HR WDH. Mitsubishi sell there own WDH to I think.

Burnsy I think you should be fine with the Paj.

Sorry for the hijack Dazz.

Yep I use a Hayman Reece WDH with the Mitsi Factory towbar. Mitsubishi actually recommend the use of WDH (its in the Manual) for Pajero, with balls weights over 135kg. Jayco dealer supplied a Eza-Lift but I swapped for a HR as it didn't have enough adjustment and couldn't open rear door, however was fine with the standard towbar, went to the HR and problem solved.

That also the bonus of have the hitch on the bottom of the "A" helps clear the door, however I also fiited a hitch raiser to get the level right rather than a longer drop on the WDH.
If you look at a Pajero towing a van with a standard hitch on top of "A" frame weather using a WDH or not "most" can't open the rear door even with the wheel lift kit, unless they run a low profile hitch such as a Hyland or DO35 or similar