Water Tank Usage

paulie484

Apr 12, 2012
Perth WA
Hard lesson learnt, have a 17.56.1 with two 80l tanks and pump..no internal shower but outside one

Filled them up before we left for up north here in WA, took at least 10 mins each to do so assumed were both full

4 days use of rinsing after beach, filling water bottles and dish washing and water all gone :(

Interesting reading pposts on here about how quick water can go

Next time will use sparingly a bring own drinking water

Luckily we are not bush camping, fresh water at taps around park, artesian at vans

Traps for young players !!!

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
We get only about 2 days out of the tanks at full usage including showers (5 of us) and 4 days with showers if we are on the frugal side.
It's taking me a while to train the family as they are used to unlimited water.
As a backup, I also carry 2 x 20L water containers in the ute when there is no access to other water

Reactions: paulie484

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Just been without water on tap at home while all pipes replaced. When you need to get water by the bucketful you realise just how much you go through and just how much we waste. Our water company urges us to be water wise and keep our household consumption down. They regard 750 litres a week as quite exceptionally good water management. That's 9 Expanda tank fulls.

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
When camping, we will still use creek water to wash up in and showers with the Coleman (2 adults and 2 young ones). Have never run out yet. Always ensure though that the water used for washing up in is boiled for about 5mins first.
We are lucky though, where we camp the creek is always beautiful and clear.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
When camping, we will still use creek water to wash up in and showers with the Coleman (2 adults and 2 young ones). Have never run out yet. Always ensure though that the water used for washing up in is boiled for about 5mins first.
We are lucky though, where we camp the creek is always beautiful and clear.

Very lucky indeed, there's nothing better than a beautiful clear creek. We had one favourite spot with ice cold drinkable water running over course quartz sand bottom. Few and far between now.
We always used a big "jam boiler" on the campfire to kill off any bugs. Mrs XF and I get over a week out of two tanks when we're frugal with showers. Was a bit harder with three kids but once they had to carry the water (often up steep banks) they learned quite quickly.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
As everyone mentioned water usage can get away from you, I think everyone has run out at some stage. :yield:

For us I found the quickest way to get through the water was washing hands with the water pump. We now wash using the hand pump (like we did in the Hawk) and its suprising how much less water it uses. Fill the sink with the hand pump and its a good test how long it takes :)

We still use the shower and we can last 4 days and still go home with water in the tanks if where carefull ;) If we know we are away from any fresh water for a while we too take a container of drinking water.

Also fill your tanks until you see water coming out of the breathers then you know there full :thumb: