Interior Water Pump - Which one ?

daznmel

Oct 21, 2013
Hi All,

Long time reader, posted a few comments, first time posting a thread.

I am finally going to install my pump into the 17.56.1. I have worked out how I am going to plumb it in.
I have all the parts except one.. The pump !
There is so many on the market, all different flow rates and pressure. Driving me insane, as I want to make sure I get the most suitable one for my need.
I though I would go for something about 10-12 lpm @35psi. My logic was not having to wait forever to fill the sink.
Then someone mention to me today, a lower flow rate of 4-5 lpm will conserve your water when people just want to wash hands, or rinse something.
At this point in time I do not see myself free camping much more then two-three days. We generally take separate drinking water like the 10lt bottle. I have no shower, just a sink, front tap and one 80 lt tank.

I though I would ask the wider community, and I understand that their is different horses for courses.. but would be interesting to see what the general consensus is. What flow rate and pressure recommended?

Thanks

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Nothing worse than a tap that has a flow like a old bloke with prostate problems.
The bigger the better IMO
Ha, thats funny

Hi @daznmel, at the risk of starting a dodgy prostate fan club I lean the other way to @NoWorries, with a pump that will not through lack of care empty my tank faster than planned, and in a van with kids theres the constant tendency for the healthy prostate pump to just cause more mess. For me 10ltr/min is great for home, washing the car, fighting fires or dispersing protestors, but way to much for a free camping van pump (presuming you have no tree huggers banging at the door)

My Coleman HWS is 4ltrs/min, and yeah it is a bit of a dribble, but some around 5 would be perfect for function v conservation v mess

Moto Mech

Jul 18, 2012
Mole Creek, Tasmania
Ive just installed a 17lpm 40psi pump to our van, replacing a 10lpm 35psi pump.
We wasted more water trying to wash our selves in shower with poor water pressure than we will with a quick water blast.( our old pump wasnt pumping a full flow hence why i replaced it)

Reactions: bigcol and Bluey

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Moto Mech I reckon has the answer, you don't want a dribble or a fire hose but then thats why we use a "tap" to regulate the flow. Make sure you have a sturdy housing for it and sit it on some nice rubber mounts, also a flexy hose from the pump for a foot or so will help keep the pump noise down, it can be most annoying.
A jerry can, a cordless drill and an Aldi transfer pump work well to extend the tank life. It won't take long to work out how long to leave the tap on......

This is what I made when I moved my pump from inside to underneath.................40,000k and it hasn't fell off yet.....details on my page.

pumpbox-jpg.jpg

daznmel

Oct 21, 2013
Hi All, thanks for the comment, especially

Nothing worse than a tap that has a flow like a old bloke with prostate problems.
The bigger the better IMO

Very funny..

Drover, thanks for the picture of your pump, I was thinking I may have an issue with the pump upside down underneath, but though I would deal with this when I get the pump to see if I could do it..

In fact I went to your page, and was very impressed with the mods you have done.. given me lots of ideas.
You right, I can use the tap to regular the flow as well, so I am now thinking I will get something with a bit higher flow rate and pressure, and mount it underneath similar to what you have done.

Cheers

Daz

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I had originally planned to just sling my pump underneath using the same bolt holes but found the chassis rail in the way and the pump mount wouldn't lend itself to hanging upside down thus the box was needed and it has worked very well, was planning on having some mesh to keep rocks away but with it tucked behind the water tank it doesn't need it.
If your not mounting under a cupboard where you can bolt thru the floor, you will have to fit a alloy/steel plate under the floor, glue and screw it then screw your pump to it as the floors are only about 12mm if your lucky and a 10mm screw won't hold the pump.

Getting it Easy

Nov 16, 2015
Pittsworth QLD
Remember pressure and flow are two different things. 40 to 60 psi is great for a shower and sink. 60 is better for sure. Work backwards when it comes to flow, connect your van to town pressure and turn on your shower and measure how much water comes out of your head in a minute or two for a better average, once you have worked out that then you can see which pump to aim for if 7l/per minute comes out than aim for a pump a little higher. say around 9-10 if you go to high say 15-17 l/per minute the pump will kick in and out on the pressure switch and you don't want that, all that does is wear out the pump switch prematurely. You can do a small mod to the pump by placing a relay between the pump and pressure switch this takes the amp load off the switch but that's another topic. Any pump you do buy make sure you can get parts the last thing you want is a spend 100-200 on a pump and not be able to service it. Hope this helps.

Reactions: bigcol