Water pump surging, is it normal?

Adam G

Jul 28, 2013
Hi all. When on tank water and you turn a tap on very low, is it normal for the water pump to cycle on and off rapidly? By rapid I mean 2-3 on-off cycles per second.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
@Adam G, yes, we have a filter tap which only allows a small amount of water through and the pump cycles on and off all the time it is on. Also the tap on the sink in the shower/toilet is a low flow type and the pump does the same thing there.

Adam G

Jul 28, 2013
Im still not convinced it's normal, the pump cycles on and off very rapidly at a rate of about 5 hertz. I'll take a video and post it up next time I get the van out of storage.

shiraz

Oct 22, 2012
sellicks hill s.a
Hi all. When on tank water and you turn a tap on very low, is it normal for the water pump to cycle on and off rapidly? By rapid I mean 2-3 on-off cycles per second.

We had this problem early hrs of yhe morning pump would run for a couple of seconds,problem was the tap on drawbar just a drip every couple of mins pressure dropped over a few hrs, pump activated a few seconds , the other is the shower not quite sealing grit from the water
these are our common areas. hope it help.
regards Shiraz.

Ch00ka77

Apr 28, 2012
Maffra VIC
Im still not convinced it's normal, the pump cycles on and off very rapidly at a rate of about 5 hertz. I'll take a video and post it up next time I get the van out of storage.[/

Adam have you tried priming the hand pump to see if its not sucking air through this as ours was doing a similar thing when we first got it.

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
It could be some debris in the diagram of the pump, I have just installed one in the car and had to drill an extra hole in the tank for a breather and as soon as I did this and ran the pump it surge every few seconds.

On YouTube found a site on how to pull the pump apart and it was a small piece of swarf that stopped the diagram sealing.

Hope this helps.

Christian

Adam G

Jul 28, 2013
For clarification it is not surging every few seconds, it is surging multiple times per second, it is very rapid, too fast to count.