Water proofing wires

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Finally got around to one of the jobs on my list. Not sure if Jayco still do this but under my 09 16-49-1 OB where all the wires and plugs join from the trailer plug they are all just tucked up under a piece of alloy plate under floor. I bought a water proof junction box and screwed it under the floor where 1 set of cables go through the floor which hides them, obviously you need a hole in box to run these wires through and sealer between box and floor. Then you need entry and exit holes for other wires which run through water proof glands, the worst part is removing the factory plugs from the end of wires. I used a small piece of brass tube to push over pin and press in the barbs which allows the pins to be removed. Once all cables have been fed into box simply push pins back into plugs taking note that you have matched the colours. All the negative and positive wires (white and black) where joined are now soldered with a insulated cap over them secured with a screw, tuck all wires up in box and screw the sealed lid on and now you don't have a mass of unsightly wires and now waterproof!:high5:

Alan

Feb 3, 2012
Altona Vic
The day i got my 14 home on a full inspection i found the same problem. The wiring joins inside an open ended sheetmetal guard, could not call it a box. In a perfect spot for water, mud and stones from the road to destroy the lot. Rather don't be rude poor on Jayco's behalf. I made up a sheetmetal guard for both ends and screwed them to the floor then sealed it with silicon, not as fancy but does the job.

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
I know, you would think they could at least put them in the a box. One of the first jobs I did.

Christian

image0001 (2).jpg image0002 (2).jpg image0003 (2).jpg