Toy Hauler Water in wall

Samsim

Jan 5, 2020
Melbourne
Hi
Just wondering if anyone has had any problems with water leaking into the walls of their van and how it was received by Jayco and resolved?
We have a 3 yr old base station that the back right side has obviously got water in it somehow and was noticed as the wall is expanding and cracking. Realised just after we brought it that they then brought out the 5 year structural warranty. I’m totally shocked that a caravan can leak like this. On calling over a 4 month wait just to look at it. Any advise or info on how to deal with Jayco over this would be very much appreciated.

Attachments

• BEFBB912-5C5A-45F4-A047-3A0A6F2FE870.jpeg
    BEFBB912-5C5A-45F4-A047-3A0A6F2FE870.jpeg
    143.7 KB · Views: 420
  • 09BFCB93-3253-4346-8F09-B0D982B8F75B.jpeg
    09BFCB93-3253-4346-8F09-B0D982B8F75B.jpeg
    247.4 KB · Views: 420
  • 9E3B1611-6993-4AB6-98AD-52DA511933D5.jpeg
    9E3B1611-6993-4AB6-98AD-52DA511933D5.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 382

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
That looks bad. I had water problems with my roof when the van was around 3 years old. I took it to my my local service agent (they are not Jayco dealers but are a service agent for them) and they took photos, sent them to Jayco and Jayco agreed to pay half the cost.

Yours looks bad enough to get it fully replaced at their cost. Good luck chasing it.

Reactions: Samsim

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
I would immeditely send off photos to Jayco Head office with a letter with all the details.What fittings/windows etc are on the outside of the van anywhere near the leak.

Reactions: Drover

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Ive had great success with Jayco regarding out of warranty repairs. They often put up some resistance, but ultimately persistence pays off. Many folk here on the forum have found Jayco willing to tackle major expensive defects way outside the documented warranty period. Im reluctant to call it "gestures of good will" when it comes to their products failing, but Jayco have a well documented history of stepping up.

Reactions: Samsim and Drover

Samsim

Jan 5, 2020
Melbourne
I would immeditely send off photos to Jayco Head office with a letter with all the details.What fittings/windows etc are on the outside of the van anywhere near the leak.
Thanks. Photos have been sent to local Jayco but 4 mth wait to have it looked at. Possibly the air vent or awning is where it may have gotten in. So disappointing.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Thanks. Photos have been sent to local Jayco but 4 mth wait to have it looked at. Possibly the air vent or awning is where it may have gotten in. So disappointing.
Try sending the photos straight to Jayco, as that is where they will end up anyway. The dealer can’t make any warranty decisions when it is out of warranty.

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Four months wait is a joke.Ring Jayco HO tell them whats happening and the problem is getting worse .As I said send photos as well.Under Aust consumer law this caravan is still under warranty regardless what Jayco might try and tell you.Time to start putting the pressure on them .

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
While your waiting have a look around the rivets/screws/bolts on the outside for a dirty grey/black mark around them, if you find some then it is probably the culprit, the mark is from movement between bracket and fixing when it rains and your moving. Mounts for awnings arms seem to have minimal sealant compared to the amount troweled on elsewhere....

Middo

Apr 25, 2014
Brisbane
Had mine repaired this year. Jayco paid for the lot. Damage to the ceiling above toilet and to the wall by the bed.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Get Advantage caravan repaires to do it they are a Jayco reapirer but much better they did my shower my roof under warrenty and i was 4 years out of warrenty there very good carnt speak highly enough about there work

Samsim

Jan 5, 2020
Melbourne
Four months wait is a joke.Ring Jayco HO tell them whats happening and the problem is getting worse .As I said send photos as well.Under Aust consumer law this caravan is still under warranty regardless what Jayco might try and tell you.Time to start putting the pressure on them .
Yes I was thinking there would be some kind of consumer warranty for this so am going to tackle it that way. I’ll also go in saying the wait to have it assessed was totally unexceptable. Hopefully I won’t have too much of a fight.

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
I rang several repair shops and found one who was prepared to take the photos and send it to jayco. The whole cost of repair was covered by jayco even though it was 2 years out of warranty. Apparently a up to date service book is the key indicator of how much they are prepared to cover.

I find the independent repair shops much more accommodating than the service centres attached to the sales yard

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
Hi
Just wondering if anyone has had any problems with water leaking into the walls of their van and how it was received by Jayco and resolved?
We have a 3 yr old base station that the back right side has obviously got water in it somehow and was noticed as the wall is expanding and cracking. Realised just after we brought it that they then brought out the 5 year structural warranty. I’m totally shocked that a caravan can leak like this. On calling over a 4 month wait just to look at it. Any advise or info on how to deal with Jayco over this would be very much appreciated.