Water flow metre

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
With gauges or drifter type set ups I'm pretty sure the sensors are about the same.............................I wonder if you can calibrate the sensor/gauge ????? Worked out that mine says empty there's 20lts left.
No can calibrate, they use physical senders fixed in place so without moving the senders .... they will only react wherever they are installed

Reactions: Drover

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
There was a page somewhere I can't recall about someone using one of these.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121737110811

It looks very like the Topargee principle but I rejected it as it said it was for aquariums whereas the Topargee looks to be caravan specific.

I guess the terminology is irrelevant as long as it works. A better price as well.

Update on ours....after four days free camping ours showed half filled. (We don't use the onboard water for drinking, just for showers toilet and washing up)

I filled tanks last night, and they filled very quickly so the gauge was registering under ....the other day it was over.

That's the main reason I hate the onboard sensor gauges...inaccuracy but you never know if it's under or over.

SkinnyBuddah

Jul 12, 2015
Ballarat
if you know the dimensions of your tanks ie length and width. Measuring from the bottom to each sensor would give you height you could work out the volume each sensor is actually telling you there is. Of course with only the four or five sensors (can't recall how many) once your down under the last sensor it's going to be a guess.

The only thing that I can see from a digital perspective that would give accurate readings would be an ultrasonic sensor in the top of the tank. Then even I start asking how technical do you want/need to go with it?

Or a float sensor like used in a car petrol tank would would too.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Or the old farm tank system of with floating stick, higher the stick higher the water level. Just run the tube up the inside wall so you can see when at the table.

Last edited:

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Good grief....my mind has boggled!

Re our pondering so far on water flow metres....because I was a bit doubtful about the sensor gauges in general and with an untried gauge to monitor....Ive definitely come to the conclusion that the Topargee will give a far more accurate reading for our needs.

This was confirmed after we blew a water pipe while free camping and the sensor gauge read half full. I know we lost lots of water, I know we'd been free camping for four days with daily showers and I know we had very little left.

When I filled the tanks the stupid gauge still read 3/4 full. I filled slowly to the top with no gurgling air breather noise.

The other issue I have is the amount of usable and accessible water we get from two 95l tanks. I'm guessing a max of 70l per tank so will look at improving that when we get home. It seems ridiculous to cart about 40 l that can't be accessed, just because the tank design could be better.

We haven't run out of water yet, more from good luck than good management...but I'd like to improve on the good management.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I have to re-run my breather hoses as they must drop down low and get water in the line when tank is full so they spit when filling until all the water is expelled, usually over my feet, been thinking of running them up to gas tanks and venting them there with a pigs tale end.

Reactions: bigcol

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
I have to re-run my breather hoses as they must drop down low and get water in the line when tank is full so they spit when filling until all the water is expelled, usually over my feet, been thinking of running them up to gas tanks and venting them there with a pigs tale end.

Hi,
I had the same problem with the breather hose on our Penguin early on. Jayco routed the breather hose down under the cross member. It filled up with water and our hand pump found it easier to suck air in from filler pipe than take water from the tank held back by the vacuum because the tank couldn't breathe.

I found two solutions:

1: reran the breather hose through the hole in the C section, thus a much much lower loop up to the breather outlet.
There is always some water in the loop, but now, when we pump water or fill the tank we can hear the breather pipe gurgling as air is drawn in or out to equalise the pressure in the tank. Never had the problem again.

2: I now carry a small 6" piece of garden hose which fits neatly over the breather outlet. If I have any problems in future, I can blow down the breather to a: check it is not blocked, and b: to clear the water from the breather pipe.

best wishes
Mike

Last edited:

Dingo193

Feb 17, 2017
On the road
You would likely only need the one Topargee gauge, installing it after the tank junction. With one Topargee, your first two complete tank usages will quickly tell you exactly how much water youll get out of each tank just by taking note of the gauge reading when it starts sucking air on one tank before flicking over the other. If you isolate each tank with tap one Topargee should do everything you require.

Your kind of right about the Drifter, its certainly not accurate enough in itself to rely on, but once our Drifter starts to flash on each tank I know I have around 25ltrs left in each, which for us is one day. That's good enough for me, Id prefer to stick my head under side of the van anyway and have a look at the clear pipe, and keep my $129 in my pocket. From experience I know I can get 10 days out of our water supplies, so only if I intend to stay off the grid in excess of 10 days that I need to bother managing it anyway.

Hi Guys, If you do some research the Topargee is made in China..I bought direct the same item with flow sensor and LCD display for around $28. The sensors can also be purchased from Jaycar. The Sensor was installed before my pump, they say you cant join to the sensor wire for extra length, but on talking to Jaycar they couldn't see why not and sold me some instrument cable. I ran the cable through under the sink in my Dove and mounted it on the side of the front seat. The reading totals each litre used upwards. I do understand there are other units that you can preset your total water litreage and it triggers an alarm at a preset level on use. I just use to look on a daily basis to get the readout till my total of 82 - 92 litres I could carry depending how much water I crammed into the lines was used.

Dingo193

Feb 17, 2017
On the road
Further to my above post the site was www.futurelec.com.au. Alan was particularly helpful and would answer emails. The unit runs on two AAA batteries which last 2 years, but I think mine lasted about 1 year. To also cross check you can get a hoselink tap water gauge for around $25 to see how much water you actually put in to your tanks..that was going to be my next purchase.

Reactions: bigcol and Drover

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Thanks @Dingo193 .....I'll look into it when I get home.

I did check out the hose link option but my issue is more with how much I actually have left, rather than how much goes into the tanks.

The Chinese option is a real possibility.

Damn...every time I try a search the Internet drops out!

Better buy some more time, methinks instead of stuffing around with hoses!

:clap2::frusty:

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I still reckon some 10mm clear tube run from the draw point of the tank up the side of the van, will show with true accuracy how much water you have left........could start a trend you know.......................:D................

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
They'll probably think it's a fancy toilet indicator.

It might work with relative accuracy if the tanks were vertical...horizontal it'd be too inaccurate.

Now there's another idea....tall clear tanks on the rear of the van....free algae but easy to see the level.

(This rain is sending me more into the ridiculous)

>:(

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Akil

Nov 16, 2016
Perth
Further to my above post the site was www.futurelec.com.au. Alan was particularly helpful and would answer emails. The unit runs on two AAA batteries which last 2 years, but I think mine lasted about 1 year. To also cross check you can get a hoselink tap water gauge for around $25 to see how much water you actually put in to your tanks..that was going to be my next purchase.

A direct link for anyone who's interested.

http://www.futurlec.com/Flow_Sensor.shtml

- Ian