Waeco vs Engel

Triton

Aug 4, 2011
Moama, NSW
I am looking to purchase a fridge/freezer (around the 40 L mark) set-up in the next month or so, mainly in preparation for our trip up the north coast of NSW in January.
I have a dual battery set up in the Triton, with a 12 volt plug in the back that will look after the fridge/freezer set up.
What I am interested in is what is the best option to go for. Waeco or Engel (or other type).
Also interested in why you went for a particular type - because one draws less amps? etc.
We also have the 150 L fridge in the expanda, so will probably use the Waeco/Engel for storing drinks and keeping some food frozen.
Interested in what you guys have done!:noidea:

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
150ltr fridge in expanda and a 40ltr engel why ? they have been around for ever and our works a treat wouldn't be without it .

There was a fridge test in 4wd action lots of fridges and the ARB fridge won

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Got the Waeco CF50, original got as it was a bit cheaper than the Engel at the time, however they also have a low voltage battery cut out and at the time my old Pathie was only running a single battery.
I also considsered the "Bushman" Fridge as it was a good price and also featured the low voltage cut out, however if something did go wrong some where in the sticks warranty and repairs would have been an issue unlike Engle or Waeco that have agents around the country, Though I'm sure the Bushman is now pretty much on par with the other.

Now with the 150 ltr in the Panda, the Waeco tends to stay at home on weekend trips.

Reactions: Triton

richard

Jun 9, 2011
Now with the 150 ltr in the Panda, the Waeco tends to stay at home on weekend trips.

What about on longer trips do you still put the Waeco in. I am about to embark on our first 3 week trip in our Expanda and am wondering if we will need the extra fridge space or if the 150lt will do.

We have 2 adults and 4 young (9- year olds)

Any thoughts?

NissPat

Jul 30, 2011
ACT
The Engel v Waeco question...LOL

I have both at 40l and can't fault either of them. Very happy all around, maybe the waeco draws a bit less power but never connected to an ampmeter.

It's a tough one mate, I'm sure you can't go wrong with either....Good luck

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Like others have said I think there all fairly similar now, we have an Engel which would be coming up to 8 years old next month and it has never missed a beat. It use to live under a my tourneau on a couple of different utes.

We only have a 90lt in the Expanda and we didn't take the engle on our recent 3 1/2 week trip to central Oz and we didn't miss it. We took long life milk to keep the fridge space available for food etc. The longest time between shopping was about 6 nights. We worked out a rough menu and packed and cooked accordingly.

Good Luck with your decision.

On a side note and not saying this because I have an Engle but I haven't heard of anyone having problems with an Engel but I know a few Waeco's having problems and that was regarding thremostats, but that might have been sorted by now.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I took an Engel away for 3 months last year and it was hooked up to the aux batt in the car, ran faultlessly. We also have the 150lt fridge in the van.
Out of the 3 of us travelling, 2 had Engels and one had a Waeco. My mate with the Waeco had to have his repaired in Darwin as the touch panel broke. The Engels didn't have any electronic controls on them.

That was the only difference.

We tend to still take one away, even on short trips and plug it into the 240v external PP and use it as a drinks fridge, which stops the kids going into the van several times every hour.

Triton

Aug 4, 2011
Moama, NSW
150ltr fridge in expanda and a 40ltr engel why ? they have been around for ever and our works a treat wouldn't be without it .

There was a fridge test in 4wd action lots of fridges and the ARB fridge won

haha...thinking I might have a drinking problem:puke:........plan would be to use the engel/waeco as drinks fridge (be it for frothies or kids drinks) and have it outside the van.....have camping friends who do the same.......no need to go into van every time to get a drink......also with three kids, reckon we need all the space we can get for food in the van fridge.

Thanks for feedback guys....keep it coming......interested in others thoughts:spy:

drewy

May 29, 2011
South East Melbourne
I've had an Engle 40l for 11yrs and it has been round the country once and on countless weekends away, never had any issues with it. The dog chewed up the cover, thats all! I believe the Waecos are also a fantastic fridge and would also be a great choice. I would look at the ARB fridge, the case looks very tough and it did very well in the magazine test, they don't normally put their name on rubbish.

crystal674

Jun 17, 2011
Benaraby Qld
We have a 40l Engel in the back of the car mounted on the Black Widow draws and connected to 105 amp Thumper also mounted on the draw system.

The main reason we bought the Engel was the option of 20l extenda lid.

This means we can have a 60l fridge with 40l power consumption.

The Thumper is a fantastic, portable power unit that has payed for itself a 100 times over.

Crystalyn

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
We have a waeco CF40 for about 6 years now. Lives in the Patrol permanently and we love it. Only reason was price, got it brand new off ebay for a bargain from a store that was over stocked.

You couldnt go wrong with Waeco, engel or ARB as far as i can tell.

Great for storing extras on long trips and also great for nice cold drinks when day tripping from camp!

busybusymum

Oct 23, 2011
Albury/Wodonga
We did all the research as well - having 4 kids with only the 4 kids in the Hawk - we thought Engel was better than Waeco when doing our research - but better again is a fridge called National Luna (12V and 240)- comes from South Africa - what they all use for the safaris etc. It is a touch more expensive - but in doing all the research it has least draw down on the battery and an auto shut off if it senses the battery is too low. Its cooling system is fantastic and very even. It has a digital readout to tell you how your battery is going as well as what temp you are on - We have a 50 litre weekender - which is 40litres fridge and 10 litres freezer - of course they have a range of other models as well. Opposite Lock are the stockists for it in Australia so unfortunately there is not much ability to haggle on the price like perhaps you can do with a Waeco or Engel - but if you want a fridge for the long term then we highly recommend it!

Jim and Tab

Jul 29, 2011
Bendigo Victoria
about 5 yrs ago we bought a 40ltr weaco from supercheap when they had a 20% off sale
it cost us $400.the supercheap one dosnt have the digital display or a light(we dont mind that less to go wrong)
since we owned it its been used lots a few years ago when we went away most weekends
and for the last coouple of years it rarely got used(home renos)now it gets used again in the back of the pajero
as a freezer only.we only have the small jayco fridge so using the weaco gives us heaps of room in the van fridge.
not sure if you know but weaco have a seconds website where if your lucky you can pick up a real bargain
there not realy seconds just end of models or over stocked.
hers an example http://www.fridgeshop.com.au/default.asp?id=524&catId=6
just a metter of looking if your not in a hurry
cheers jim/tab and diamond

Reactions: Four of us

Triton

Aug 4, 2011
Moama, NSW
Ended up buying the Engel 45MT with transit bag today at the Bendigo Leisurefest Show. Picked it all up for $1125.
Now waiting to get to Cobram RACV park next weekend to test it out and see how cold it keeps the frothies:dance:

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
We took our 40L Waeco around WA using it only as a freezer and it worked perfectly. We bought it about 8 years ago from the Brisbane Caravan show when they threw in a powered cooler box as well, all for just over $600. It doesn't have readouts but it does have a high and low cutout, the low setting just allows the battery to drop to a lower voltage before shutting down. As it runs off a second AGM battery this is no problem.