(VIC) Victorian High Country from Mansfield.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I have had a few questions asked of late about the Victorian High Country and what areas are accessible from the town of Mansfield.

In particular when the seasonal track closures are in effect and what areas can still be accessed and what is open to see and explore

There are a few caravan parks in Mansfield and also one in the township of Jamieson. I have outlined below what areas are also a good starting point from the main free camps without listing all of them.

You can still see plenty of points of interest around the Mansfield area.
Here are some areas that are open yes the trip reports are a bit old but still very relevant
Kelly Tree not far from Mansfield not much 4wd but great history and an awesome lookout from Powers Lookout.

This is just south of Jamieson (free camp) Skipworth Reserve "can" be popular but plenty more options along the Goulburn River if this is busy. All the tracks around here are open and you can also access Mt Terrible that has just got the hut rebuilt and offers stunning views.

Just near Skipworth Gold Mines a steep climb but too.

Jamieson is a beautiful town (my dads family is from here) there is also a caravan park in town. Woods Point is a town south of Jamieson were you could do a day trip too but I wouldn 't bother towing the van down there.

Craigs Hut and numerous others aren't accessible as they inside the closed track areas and don't open until Melbourne Cup Weekend 1st Tuesday in November.

Sheepyard Flat is a big grassy area on the Howqua River a really nice spot but the track around the area are closed. You can walk along the Howqua River walking track into Frys Hut (45min) though.

A different thread that may help a bit repeated but a bit more info :)

So start planning