Electrical Van Lights

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
Can anyone tell me if the lights in an Expanda are wired so that if one does not work, the rest won't?
I tried replacing globes with LED and all worked except the one over the back bed. The light we normally plug into this also does not work and is it a coincidence that the light outside will not work either?

I hope this makes sense.

Stuart

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Can anyone tell me if the lights in an Expanda are wired so that if one does not work, the rest won't?
I tried replacing globes with LED and all worked except the one over the back bed. The light we normally plug into this also does not work and is it a coincidence that the light outside will not work either?

I hope this makes sense.

Stuart
Replacing existing filament globes with LEDs is a good idea . They usually are not polarity sensitive. However, LEDs are and must be connected the right way or will not work. You may have to change the wiring around at the socket point to achieve success. Could be a time to get out your multimeter and check polarity.

Reactions: 1DayIll and Drover

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Replacing existing filament globes with LEDs is a good idea . They usually are not polarity sensitive. However, LEDs are and must be connected the right way or will not work. You may have to change the wiring around at the socket point to achieve success. Could be a time to get out your multimeter and check polarity.
Just a further thought @1DayIll , if the light over the back bed and the outside light are both on the same circuit, then neither will work if the fuze for both has blown. Check condition of fuse first for that circuit or if necessary both circuits. If all okay, then back to LED light connection and polarity.

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
Just a further thought @1DayIll , if the light over the back bed and the outside light are both on the same circuit, then neither will work if the fuze for both has blown. Check condition of fuse first for that circuit or if necessary both circuits. If all okay, then back to LED light connection and polarity.
yes, thanks. I did check the fuses I could find but not sure if there are any others hidden anywhere else.
Any ideas if other fuses are hidden anywhere?

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
yes, thanks. I did check the fuses I could find but not sure if there are any others hidden anywhere else.
Any ideas if other fuses are hidden anywhere?
If you have a Setec ST20/35 Series II or III, then there are normally only the 6 in the Series II and 8 in the Series III. If later model BMS, then they have elecronic fuses which auto reset. Do the incandescent lights work for those lights before you changed to LEDs? If incandescent lights work, then definitely wrong polarity for the LEDs. I have a 6 cell torch which had a halogen bulb. When Ichanged it over to an LED, I had to put the batteries in reversed to get it to work.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Try the dead bulb/leds in a socket that works, I had a couple of dead leds and crappy contacts in the socket of one that needed a bit of TLC.....especially those push in jobs.....

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
If you have a Setec ST20/35 Series II or III, then there are normally only the 6 in the Series II and 8 in the Series III. If later model BMS, then they have elecronic fuses which auto reset. Do the incandescent lights work for those lights before you changed to LEDs? If incandescent lights work, then definitely wrong polarity for the LEDs. I have a 6 cell torch which had a halogen bulb. When Ichanged it over to an LED, I had to put the batteries in reversed to get it to work.
I have put the old globes back in but they do not work now either. All other LED's are working though.

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
Try the dead bulb/leds in a socket that works, I had a couple of dead leds and crappy contacts in the socket of one that needed a bit of TLC.....especially those push in jobs.....
yep did this and they work in other lights, even the plug-in extension light works over the other bed.

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
Thanks, I must have the series two and have checked all fuses. Thanks

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If it doesn't work with the originals, pull the fitting out and test the wires ...... If all else fails, sticky back Velcro and a couple of those nice battery LEDs from $2 shop.

Reactions: 1DayIll