Ute Canopy Weight Limit

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I have two ARB canopies on both my utes, one a BT 50 and the other a VE Ute. To be honest, I do not know the actual weight it holds, but if you look at the internal support bars, I reckon it would do well as a roll bar in a V8 supercars race. I am a Plumber, on my VE, I have had pipe, ladder and two long gas heaters on the top of it without a problem at all. Solid as a rock! But you have to option the canopy with the internal support and roof racks. I would buy them again.

Geoff

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I have been looking at this coz I'm still shopping for the right canopy.
It seems to me that the BT50 is only rated to 100kg (according to Rhino etc) so that pretty much limits my canopy to 100kg unless I carry stuff without touching the bars on the BT50.
I have been looking at Razorback and Flexiglass for central locking.
ARB make a strong canopy and are in contention but no central locking unless you go 3rd party here: http://canopylocks.com.au/

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
Ive got ARB on my Navara, I think they said they are 100kg rated however im a signwriter (retired now) but i used to carry ladders planks as well as big realestate timber signs on top and did so for 4 years and no problems at all. It did have the supprt bar inside as Geoff said in his post

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Hey! Who will have the first Expanda with central locking?

media-system-jpg.jpg
My money`s on this bloke! Adam !18-57-9

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
I have two ARB canopies on both my utes, one a BT 50 and the other a VE Ute. To be honest, I do not know the actual weight it holds, but if you look at the internal support bars, I reckon it would do well as a roll bar in a V8 supercars race. I am a Plumber, on my VE, I have had pipe, ladder and two long gas heaters on the top of it without a problem at all. Solid as a rock! But you have to option the canopy with the internal support and roof racks. I would buy them again.

Geoff

Thanks mate Ill go and have a look at the bars and see what its like!

I know the flexiglass canopy has a 150kg limit, if you have the internal support bars.

Okay sounds good!!!

I have been looking at this coz I'm still shopping for the right canopy.
It seems to me that the BT50 is only rated to 100kg (according to Rhino etc) so that pretty much limits my canopy to 100kg unless I carry stuff without touching the bars on the BT50.
I have been looking at Razorback and Flexiglass for central locking.
ARB make a strong canopy and are in contention but no central locking unless you go 3rd party here: http://canopylocks.com.au/

That's if you have racks on the roof of the bt itself yes?

Do you need to use racks on the car if the canopy is rated at 150?

You could go something like this -

RoofRackBar_Main.jpg

I am looking at something like this which relies solely on the canopy not the roof of the ute :) -

IMG_8744.jpg

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I can take photos of our Bt50 with internal racks etc tomorrow night if you want, wife is away with kids while I work:apologetic:

Geoff

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Yes, I like that set up. Looks like the Tradesmans rack from ARB. Nice.
Unfortunately I have opted for the Flexiglass canopy (for other reasons) and that sort of set up probably wont work.

I'm looking at an inflatable...

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
Here is an old post of mine relating to Navara canopy options... 'Other notes' may apply.

Hi Leesy, just been through the same dilemma – which canopy is best one for me …

I ended up ordering with an ARB canopy last week only due to future plans to put a tinny / boat loader on the roof when touring… If this wasn’t part of the equation I would have gone a genuine Nissan canopy as I think they look the best with the way they sit/overlap the tub rails which makes them look more SUV/Wagon like instead of a dual cab with a canopy...

Here is some food for thought.

ARB pros
- more of a vertical rear door/glass (compared to some) means slightly more storage volume (did read on read online somewhere that big cargo drawers and extra- large fridges on slides may need to be set back a little more so the fridge, or other equipment, doesn’t foul with canopy glass on those nice looking raked back/curved glass windows).
- less cash outlay if you don’t need canopy roof racks (costs about the same as others when you add roof racks to the equation).
- cheaper (in FNQ anyway) as transport for me killed other options. I reckon Nissan and Carry Boy are overpriced.
- should be lighter than fibreglass and steel canopies due to ABS/plastic
- 100kg load rating with two cross bars due to internal supports fastened to the tub.

ARB Cons
- dual locks on each window (I’ve gone lift up all round) – would seem easier with one slam lock to operate.
- no carpet lining / trimming
- boxy & boring design – it may be a practical canopy but it’s not as slick looking as others
- canopy roof rails and cross bars are a permanent install when fitting roof racks – with other canopies you can at least take the cross bars off and are left with better looking rails.
- ARB wont’ recommend or fit boat loaders to the canopy (but say many people fit them – as lots do from reading on other forums…).
- installs by drilling and bolting to the tub – others have clip on fasteners (could be a pro as it may keep the canopy on better with a tinny on the top).
- generic design with large gaps at top corners of tail gate around seal

Other notes
- EGR (Nissan plastic canopies) apparently have a 150kg roof rack/support kit available
- I have installed the Nissan canopy wiring harness ($40 from Nissan). I will be fit the canopy and wiring myself to know it’s done right and sealed properly from day one.
- boat loaders are mostly designed for wagons where 3 or more roof racks are installed to distribute the load (i.e. dual cab setups don’t work as well as it will load up the canopy or tug roof racks because it’s no good to tie the same load to the tug roof and canopy roof racks due to the flex between the two.)
- If you want to do a fair share of off road driving, with a loaded canopy roof rack, check the hardware available for mounting cross bars to the canopy roof rails are up to scratch as well. When I looked at Rhino Rack heavy duty cross bars to match the ones already on my tug – they aren’t available at the load capacity to suit most aftermarket canopy roof rails due to the clamp type arrangement needed for the sports style cross bars (again they look better but…) . I.e. Nissan’s canopy is rated for 68kg as are the Rhino Rack roof rack sportz bars and clamps to suit, then you need to de-rate this for off road use to 45kg. Permanent / solid leg roof racks are rated at 100kg are de-rated to approx. 67kg when used in off road… every bit helps as most will overload the roof racks if there is space available…. And I my case a 70kg tinny handing off the roof + 30kg for a boat loader will be pushing the Navara and canopy to its limits…

Good luck with your decision.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Hi all, I know we have discussed canopies in the past but with all the recent ute purchases was wondering who has a 150kg / 200kg rated canopy.

And if you have one what brand, quality costing etc?

Cheers!
I have I'd say.
ARB with internal bar work and a tradesman rack
Not the best pic but
DSCF3081.jpg
DSCF3087.jpg