User Tagging

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
It was asked if we can tag people in threads by Capt. Gadget so we similiar to twitter we tag some one in a thread and let them know we have written something about them.

This feature was implemented a little while back but it may have been lost so wanted to post something up about it.

So to tag some one in a thread you would like to notify about you have two options

1) You can do this by simply using the following tag line @username or to be more specific if I wanted to notify Capt. Gadget I was writing something about him I would use @Capt. Gadget this will then notify via email and notification like a private message that you have been tagged in a thread and you can then read that thread

2) At the top of existing threads you will see a button "Tag User(s)" same as the above but more simple you just click that button and add a username. This enables you to notify some one about a thread. This is handy if you think something might interest another user and will save you the hassle of writing out a message copy pasting the link as when you tag the user they receive an email alerting them and a notification.

There was also another feature of this mod and that was you would be notified every time some quotes your thread and or mentions you in a thread but it was requested we turn this off as people where getting to many notifications :)!

Hope this make sense but if anyone has any questions please let me know!

Reactions: Burnsy

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
@expanda ..... just testing :)

ETA - I don't think that worked as you can't click on your name.....[MENTION]expanda[/MENTION]

SP4RKI

Jan 13, 2013
Arcadia, NSW
It was asked if we can tag people in threads by Capt. Gadget so we similiar to twitter we tag some one in a thread and let them know we have written something about them.

This feature was implemented a little while back but it may have been lost so wanted to post something up about it.

So to tag some one in a thread you would like to notify about you have two options

1) You can do this by simply using the following tag line @username or to be more specific if I wanted to notify Capt. Gadget I was writing something about him I would use @Capt. Gadget this will then notify via email and notification like a private message that you have been tagged in a thread and you can then read that thread

2) At the top of existing threads you will see a button "Tag User(s)" same as the above but more simple you just click that button and add a username. This enables you to notify some one about a thread. This is handy if you think something might interest another user and will save you the hassle of writing out a message copy pasting the link as when you tag the user they receive an email alerting them and a notification.

There was also another feature of this mod and that was you would be notified every time some quotes your thread and or mentions you in a thread but it was requested we turn this off as people where getting to many notifications :)!

Hope this make sense but if anyone has any questions please let me know!

Hi, I'm have been having a "man look" for the "tag user" option but can't seem to find it!
Can you give some more directions.... Sorry for being a bit blind, I'm sure it's hitting me in the face.....

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Thanks expanda, but I was looking for a "tag user" button at the top of the thread as per the instructions.
Was that an old option before the new forum?
Anyway, it's easy just to type the name, I just felt a little silly searching for the hidden button!

Yep there used to be a button for it in the old world.....

But not its as easy as SP4RKI :)!!!