Just Browsing Upgrading from swan to expanda

4ofus

Dec 13, 2017
Brisbane
Hi. New to this site. We are thinking of upgrading from our 2017 Swan OB to an Expanda OB but can't decide between the 14 or 16ft with bunks. We have 2 boys 7 months and almost 3. We have been travelling through australia and are fed up with the set up and lack of storage.
Can any one give some advice on the pros and cons for the 14ft or 16ft for a family of 4. We mainly want to do short trips and finish off our big trip.

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I'd go the 17, the rug rats will be wanting more room for sure, they tend to grow very fast in a short space of time. Not to mention the mountain of gear babies require.

Reactions: 4ofus

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
I have a 16 and find we have plenty of room. I have travelled with 5 in the van, 3 adults and 2 kids and had no problem. It will be a case of how close you like being to each other and how much time you will spend inside. We did the same and went from a Swan to Expanda and never looked back.
I am sure you will get plenty of advice from others.

Reactions: Drover and 4ofus

Tucker

May 4, 2016
Geelong, Victoria
Hi we also had the swan when we just had a 3yo and a 12mo baby and went to the expands 18:58-2 and now we have another baby to add to the kids and the room they take up I hate to see how we would fit it all in a 14 or 16" as our next one will be a 22 StarCraft hope that helps

Reactions: Drover and 4ofus

Brougham

May 22, 2016
Perth, WA
www.customphoto.com.au
we went from a swanOB to a 17" expanda OB. we tried a 16" foot when we had 2 kids, it was fine
we went the 17" as we have 3 kids now. the 14" you will struggle with storage and space, stick with the swan instead if that's your only choice.

Reactions: Drover

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
We skipped the swan stage and got a 14 ft expanda. We have two kids 8 and 10 and have plenty of storage space. We love our van, only real negative for us is we would love a toilet and shower on board. If we had our time again I'd consider the 17.58-3 for similar $$ but you get the toilet shower. Otherwise the 14 is perfect as there is no way our kids would share the second bed in the 16 so the bunks work well. There is no perfect van as to get everything you want you then need a bigger van which also has its downsides.

Reactions: S & M

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi there, @4ofus you sound well travelled/ experienced family. Depending what you've got to it with perhaps the 16' ensuite would be the go? We too went from Swan to 17 ensuite expanda (family of 6) and it has been fantastic for us.

Plenty of assistance here and youll be bomb barded in no time with everyones thoughts/ opinions, digest at will.

Cheers Pace.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi. New to this site. We are thinking of upgrading from our 2017 Swan OB to an Expanda OB but can't decide between the 14 or 16ft with bunks. We have 2 boys 7 months and almost 3. We have been travelling through australia and are fed up with the set up and lack of storage.
Can any one give some advice on the pros and cons for the 14ft or 16ft for a family of 4. We mainly want to do short trips and finish off our big trip.
Either will do the job very well, but after the Swan the single ended 14 may feel a little claustrophobic. With the double end, the 16 will likely feel much like the Swan as far as perception of space goes. The 16 will take an extra 2min to set up with the second bed end. Like the Swan, the bed ends are at the mercy of heat and cold, and the 14 will be more efficient to heat and cool. The awning will be slightly longer in the 16ft. You can get a bathroom in the 16 and still have the 2 beds. If your preference is the bunk model 16 for the kids, the extra bed end would just be a waste

Foz

Nov 8, 2017
Bendigo
We just went from a hawk to the 14ft expanda. We looked at the 16ft one but the mrs didnt like the small ammount of bench space that the bunk model offers. Towing weight was an issue for us so the 14ft it was.
We havent been away in it yet but i cant see there being too many problems.
If you want a new 14ft you had better start looking at display models as Jayco have dropped the 14ft from the line now, and have introduced the 14ft freestyle caravan. These are alot cheaper but lack alot of the features.

Reactions: 14" of Joy

14" of Joy

Sep 28, 2017
Melbourne
We got 14ft Outback as well. Theres 4 of us- me, the boss & 2 darling girls aged 9 & 7. Been away a few times. Breeze to tow and set up. Very comfortable & quite a bit of space. We got external shower & 4x bike rack fitted alobg with a few extras. More than satisfied and as its smallish in stature it draws quite a bit of positive feedback when people pop by to share an ale, bend an ear and take a look. Older girl will probably want to jump in a tent in the next few years & bring along a friend so room shouldn't be an issue.......he says with fingers crossed. Very happy camper indeed.

Dandy

Jan 18, 2014
We have the 17 with room for 6. Amate has the 16 and seems to have plenty of room. The big question will be what sort of tow vehicle you have and what is. Your tow capacity? An outback can weigh quite a bit more but comes with some added extras. My kids love the bunks.

caax

Oct 10, 2015
Wollongong
Welcome @4ofus go straight for the 16 mate the extra space and room will save you time later on when they have grown up. Plus the extra bed will never go astray.
We started with a 14 with bunks and loved it at the time did what we need it to do and never had any problems. We have just upgraded to a 17 touring because kids are bigger and now need the extra room.
I recommended go to a Jayco dealer and look at both, take your time.

Crew family

Mar 26, 2016
Melbourne
We went from an Eagle to a 14.44-4 Outback and absolutely loving the extra storage space, bigger fridge and other mod cons like roof-top air con and rangehood. We don't miss the bathroom but put a portapotti inside at night when there is a bit of a walk. The kids love the bunks which has their own storage cupboard, reading light and privacy curtains. Our main decision factor though was being able to park it in our car port - anything longer wouldn't have fit.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
we also went from a swan but skipped the baby vans and went for the 21-64. with 4 growing boys it was needed. plenty of space now. Go the bigger van so that when it rains while you are away, you have room to move. Thats how we got our panda. We out grew the swan.

Corey MacDonald

Sep 14, 2015
Whyalla SA
we had a swan but with our 3 boys then a trip to Adelaide and a wife that wanted to look a caravans we ended up with the 17.56 outback. love the van and tows great with the prado. we went with the 17.56 for cupboard space cos we needed it. the boys are still growing