Chassis Upgrading ATM on our 17.55-5SH OB.

G Daddy

Dec 6, 2015
Toowoomba
Went and had the inspection this morning and all is sorted and passed with no worries, I have successfully upgraded my ATM from 2272kg to 2500kg. Rego is due this month so I wanted to get this sorted prior to paying the renewal. My rego papers will now reflect the new Tare and ATM once the rego is payed, I still have to fit the new secondary plate and will have this engraved this weekend and fit that in the boot.
Once I have the plate engraved I will post up the pictures and info I have gathered while getting this sorted.

Hi @Herbertclan , as I am from QLD things may be different but can you advise on the qualifications of the person who did the inspection for you and the forms you obtained ( and source) for him to sign off on upgrade? I have trolled through the ALKO tech book and compiled all the data for my van, just need to move to the next step and find someone in Toowoomba to sign off the paper work.

Thanks for a very informative post Max

Reactions: bigcol

wally

Mar 14, 2016
brisbane
Great work Max... i'm in the process of getting an increased ATM for my 2015 Expanda Outback 16.49-1 . Have a mate who has just successfully done the same thing with a Windsor Rapid . I'm looking to increase my ATM from 2006 to 2200 kgs so i can travel with 2 water tanks !! (2nd tank fitted after delivery ). Have done a lot of research on the subject and after going over the weighbridge the first time i discovered i was 260kg over the ATM. Then i went though the process of reducing weight by putting things like the Weber etc in back of car , and taking out things that were not really needed. Next time over the weigh bridge is was 1997 kgs , BUT with 2 x 82 ltr water tanks !! . Contacted the same Transport Engineer my mate used , and have sent him all the weights and measures etc , and he is getting back to me this week. Looks like i'll just have to put a Breakaway Brake System on , and if all checks out with him , he will give me a Qld Transport Plate with the new ATM .
There seriously must be so many vans out on the roads that a well over weight !.

Cheers Wally

Herbertclan

Mar 6, 2016
Perth
Hi @Herbertclan , as I am from QLD things may be different but can you advise on the qualifications of the person who did the inspection for you and the forms you obtained ( and source) for him to sign off on upgrade? I have trolled through the ALKO tech book and compiled all the data for my van, just need to move to the next step and find someone in Toowoomba to sign off the paper work.

Thanks for a very informative post Max

Hi @G Daddy.

I'm out at my daughters cricket this arvo, I will get the form I had to do (can't recall if it was WA specific) and get it to you. The guy that did the inspection was an authorized licensing inspector, as in the person you need to get a car, trailer or caravan inspected for roadworthy and registration that is DOT authorized and recognized.

The VSB (1) was mentioned in the process and think this means it is nationally recognized.

If anything I would be asking specifically about a "Secondary compliance plate" for an ATM increase and this should set the inspector of on the correct path.

As a parting note to ALL, I am now the one listed as the manufacturer so I'm responsible if the need arises, and you will be once you do the same.

Cheers Max.

Reactions: wally and bigcol

Herbertclan

Mar 6, 2016
Perth
Great work Max... i'm in the process of getting an increased ATM for my 2015 Expanda Outback 16.49-1 . Have a mate who has just successfully done the same thing with a Windsor Rapid . I'm looking to increase my ATM from 2006 to 2200 kgs so i can travel with 2 water tanks !! (2nd tank fitted after delivery ). Have done a lot of research on the subject and after going over the weighbridge the first time i discovered i was 260kg over the ATM. Then i went though the process of reducing weight by putting things like the Weber etc in back of car , and taking out things that were not really needed. Next time over the weigh bridge is was 1997 kgs , BUT with 2 x 82 ltr water tanks !! . Contacted the same Transport Engineer my mate used , and have sent him all the weights and measures etc , and he is getting back to me this week. Looks like i'll just have to put a Breakaway Brake System on , and if all checks out with him , he will give me a Qld Transport Plate with the new ATM .
There seriously must be so many vans out on the roads that a well over weight !.

Cheers Wally

Hi @wally,

Our van is of the axle design and not the swisho JTECH suspension, the one thing that certainly made mine easier was the fact Jayco stated the axle group load rating on thier compliance plate. Once the inspector looked at this and the info I had from ALKO he said "there is no reason why it couldn't go up to 2700kg".

And yes I think there is more than we think running around over weight!! The guy I got our van from said he didn't want to weight it when he owned it!!

Cheers Max.

G Daddy

Dec 6, 2015
Toowoomba
Thanks for that info Max, I'll start down track with a friend who does roadworthy's as soon as I get the form. I presume you downloaded the form from the DOT website.
Hope you have great winning day at the cricket.

Herbertclan

Mar 6, 2016
Perth
Thanks for that info Max, I'll start down track with a friend who does roadworthy's as soon as I get the form. I presume you downloaded the form from the DOT website.
Hope you have great winning day at the cricket.

I got the form from the licensing inspector, when I called him to sound out the process and I said I was going down the secondary plate road he emailed me the form.

And yes the girls had a win :)

Cheers Max,

G Daddy

Dec 6, 2015
Toowoomba
Good to here the girls had a great day.
If I send you a PM with my email address could you send me a copy of the form so I know what to look for in QLD.
Regards Keith

Herbertclan

Mar 6, 2016
Perth
Good to here the girls had a great day.
If I send you a PM with my email address could you send me a copy of the form so I know what to look for in QLD.
Regards Keith

Absolutely @G Daddy, that may be easier than trying to post at this stage as the form is a pdf.

Cheers Max,

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
@G Daddy , 2 doors from Frasers RV in TWB there is a yard with some old vans in it and other stuff the old fella there does Van Roadworthy's and compliance Gas, Electrical etc, he may be able to help you out if you are looking at that stuff. If no one there Fraser RV can give you his number..........Think it was 477 Boundary Rd.

wally

Mar 14, 2016
brisbane
Hi @wally,

Our van is of the axle design and not the swisho JTECH suspension, the one thing that certainly made mine easier was the fact Jayco stated the axle group load rating on thier compliance plate. Once the inspector looked at this and the info I had from ALKO he said "there is no reason why it couldn't go up to 2700kg".

And yes I think there is more than we think running around over weight!! The guy I got our van from said he didn't want to weight it when he owned it!!

Cheers Max.
Hi Max...

Well I'm nearly there too , increasing the ATM from 2006 kg to 2200 kg ...sent all the info off to the engineer and all i have to do is install breakaway brake system and he will certify it . Picked up the breakaway gear today , and started installing it ...easier than i thought .
Once have that done he will come over and check everything and give me the plate ..will keep you informed

Cheers Wally

Herbertclan

Mar 6, 2016
Perth
Hi everyone.

Here is the info I used and gathered, please excuse the screen shots but couldn't work out how to share pdf's. I will put notes on each image for reference. Renewed the van rego yesterday and My 12 months rego went up an additional $4.00 so it's one less coffee this week out of my budget.

This is the info (next 3 pages) the licence inspector sent me to fill in. I'm 99% certain this form is only for use in WA only. This form and some of the below info now resides in the DOT system attached to our van rego, it is my understanding that there is also reference to the secondary plate as well. Presumably if I am pulled up and checked the info will be visible to the authorised person.
image.png

image.png

image.png

The below ALKO info is what I found on the net, these pages formed what is the AKLO tech catalogue. My van has P/N 331152 brakes fitted, I identified this by the size of the drums and the backing plate has "OFF ROAD" on it, also the van has a park brake.

image.png

The below is the axle info I found, our van is fitted with the 45mm square with a 45mm round stub axle in the slimline machine profile. Worthy note is our rating is based 14" wheels.

image.png

The next two pages are relating to the springs we have on our van. The part number we have on our van is 546206, 60mm x 6mm leafs with six leaves per pack. Print these pages out and sit side by side to help make more sense.

image.png

image.png

This is our main compliance plate and used this as info for the inspector as it states the axle group rating.

image.jpg

This is the secondary compliance plate affixed near the main plate.

image.jpeg

This is the build sheet Jayco kindly supplied, this helped in a few ways, it showed the external shower and solar were fitted ex factory and the stated axle rating which helped confirm when looking it up.

image.jpeg

Cheers Max,

Herbertclan

Mar 6, 2016
Perth
Hi Max...

Well I'm nearly there too , increasing the ATM from 2006 kg to 2200 kg ...sent all the info off to the engineer and all i have to do is install breakaway brake system and he will certify it . Picked up the breakaway gear today , and started installing it ...easier than i thought .
Once have that done he will come over and check everything and give me the plate ..will keep you informed

Cheers Wally

That's great to hear @wally,

This increase while only minor has had a big impact on flexibility for us, we are now able to look at things that make life easy instead of being totally necessary. I can't see too many disadvantages on doing this increase and now I'm legal as well.

Happy caravaning mate.....

Cheers Max,

Herbertclan

Mar 6, 2016
Perth
The extra 228KG's will make a big difference @Herbertclan ... More beer ;)

Well done and your efforts will certainly help others that want to do the same.

Thanks @dagree,

Yes it will make a big difference, we are now loading the van to the brim so I can weight again and see where I'm at. I'm just waiting for our new bike carrier so I can load that on with bikes.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I can certainly see why you went along this path and well done, Jayco must stamp the pates without putting any thought into it, those original ball weights were just plain ridiculous..

Reactions: bigcol

Herbertclan

Mar 6, 2016
Perth
I can certainly see why you went along this path and well done, Jayco must stamp the pates without putting any thought into it, those original ball weights were just plain ridiculous..

Yes they were @Drover!! And completely frustrating because when the van was empty the ball weight on the weigh docket was 180kg and all the additional weight fitted to the van was all well behind the rear axle, not any where near the 146kg even if it had full gas cylinders it was still well off. In the end all worked out fine but I do need to be carful as the heavys will likely deduct 250kg from my ATM to work out an estimated GTM if I ever get checked, this is why I want to fully load the van and head to the weigh bridge again.

Cheers Max.