17' Series Upgrade Needed 17.56-2

Allan Wood

May 17, 2015
Springfield
Hello ever yone I am new to the forum and I have just sold my Jayco Eagle and we where camping virgins before this but since owning the Eagle as a tester we have had some awesome holidays especially Yamba so like others we are on the hunt for a 17.56-2 2014 model or new, haven't decided can anyone help with the below questions thanks

Will a 2013 150 series prado deisel tow with no suspension upgrades at all totally stock standard I use a company car. Van atm is 2050 GVM 2570 I understand weight constrants and I would take over the scales to ensure I am under GVM car is replaced every 4 years.

local dealer saying $49,250 is the starting price what is a good after negotiation price people are getting with a couple of extras. Second hand 2014 $44-46

thanks any advise would be appreciated

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
Hi @Allan Wood I just recently sold my 17:52.2 which we loved to death, we sold it for 38K with a few extras, we towed it behind the Jeep with no WDH only a set of air bags but came home from Birdsville with them flat and it towed okay. I'm sure the playdow will be okay but someone will be along soon with the low down there are a few around here with them. Oh and welcome

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Welcome to the forum @Allan Wood
We have a 2014 17.56.2OB and tow it with a 2004 120 Petrol Prado... Pulls the van no probs but it does feel the hills!
Ours was one of the first 2014 models to hit the WA shores but was actually built on a 2013 chassis (Without the new independent suspension) which worked well for us as the GVM weight came in at 2433KG's.

Paid $49K and a bit just over 12months ago but that was before Jayco decided to stop charging extra for delivery to "Wait Awhile"

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Hi @Allan Wood, Welcome aboard.
Is there a reason you are specifically after a 2014?
The reason I ask is the 2013 was the last year that had the basic leaf spring setup, and with a few add on options still stays under the 2500kg ATM that is legal for your Prado
The independent setup on 2014 takes it over as per your example.

Allan Wood

May 17, 2015
Springfield
Thanks for the feedback I am definitely going to the caravan show to view styles to ensure the Expanda is the way to go but no issue to look at a 2013 Expandas to capture lower weight than the 2014.

Am I braking the law of the van if the GVM is higher then the vehicles capability even if I don't carry that weight?

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Am I braking the law of the van if the GVM is higher then the vehicles capability even if I don't carry that weight?
It is ATM of the van you are referring to. GVM Is Gross Vehicle Mass.
No you are not breaking the law, but can you prove that you are under your vehicle tow limit?
The general consensus is that the tug tow rating should exceed the ATM to avoid legality and insurance issues.
There are plenty of people who are doing what you propose, but I like to try to keep everything above board.