Discovery Underslung

Alan Edwards

Nov 8, 2015
Gordonvale qld
Did you keep the axle in the same aspect or roll it over ?????
I,kept it the same I dropped the back of the springs and slid the axle and Hubs out and under the springs I did have to disconnect the hand brake cable and unplug the electric brake wires,I put a spacer over a the center pin,the d shackles go on upside down so the nuts are on the top which seems a good idea as there not going to cop a beating from the gravel roads,also the shockie mount plate goes on top. I'll take some pics tomorrow and post .

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thats good @Alan Edwards , just that some have rolled the axle so they don't move the spacer which means the brakes are working wrong.......just check the U bolts tension later on. I replaced the washers on my U bolts as they were mild steel and just bent up, used HT washers and all good.

Reactions: bigcol and Pace

Alan Edwards

Nov 8, 2015
Gordonvale qld
Thats good @Alan Edwards , just that some have rolled the axle so they don't move the spacer which means the brakes are working wrong.......just check the U bolts tension later on. I replaced the washers on my U bolts as they were mild steel and just bent up, used HT washers and all good.
Hi just under slung the axle on me 14.44 discovery outback was a pretty simple job and gained at least 100 mm of height, it now sits nice and level behind me d40 navara. I won't be dragging its bumper/ spare wheel coming out the drive ways now.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Alan Edwards

Nov 8, 2015
Gordonvale qld
Yeah another thing is if you just roll the axle would be your electric brake wire that crosses to the other hub will be exposed as it has a Chanel to run in at the rear of the axle,it would then be at the front.

Reactions: bigcol

Alan Edwards

Nov 8, 2015
Gordonvale qld
Hey drover I found your previous post re underslung axle so I measured,and my van is sitting 115 mm taller

Reactions: bigcol and Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Hey drover I found your previous post re underslung axle so I measured,and my van is sitting 115 mm taller

Wow, 115 thats a fair bit, must have a fatter spacer gives room to move now.................get it level and measure how high your tow hitch is your tow ball should be about 15-20mm higher than the hitch, then it all should be close to level when hooked up, it's a ball park figure, if youv'e got rubbish suspension then you need more .

I moved my brake power cable to run across the chassis, kept well out of everything.

Reactions: bigcol

Alan Edwards

Nov 8, 2015
Gordonvale qld
Wow, 115 thats a fair bit, must have a fatter spacer gives room to move now.................get it level and measure how high your tow hitch is your tow ball should be about 15-20mm higher than the hitch, then it all should be close to level when hooked up, it's a ball park figure, if youv'e got rubbish suspension then you need more .

I moved my brake power cable to run across the chassis, kept well out of everything.
Hi drover my navara has a 50mm dobinsons lift kit in it so the caravan height I perfect now