Uhf radio and aerial

Percy

Jul 20, 2012
Chatswood NSW
We are planning to take off for our lap of Oz in late March in our 16.49.1.

Among the things I would like to do before leaving is to fit a UHF in the Territory. This raises a number of questions.
1. What type. I understand that there are some that have the main unit out of sight and are controlled by the handpiece - is this correct. Have anybody fitted one to a Territory?
2. Aerial - don't have a bullbar so where can a temporary aerial be fitted and are they any good? Again, what height and type?
3. Never having used a UHF, what is the protocol in calling another van or truck, I assume you don't say 'breaker breaker'! Do you just call the other person by description of their vehicle. Also, what are the right channels to use?

As usual, many thanks to the Forum and its users

Percy

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G'day Percy, sounds like a good trip coming up and I consider a UHF mandatory for cruising the country.
1. I have an Icom 440N which has the body mounted under the driver seat and the handset on the console beside me but I don't have a Territory.
2. Aerial. You can buy a Z shape mounting bracket which mounts under the edge of the bonnet on one of the screws holding the mudguard on. It then protrudes out over the guard and the aerial mounts to this.
3. If I want to talk to a truckie I'll usually call by name if the truck has a (company) name and give the direction of travel and ask if they copy. e.g. "Toll truck northbound, do you have a copy?" I usually call them on channel 40 or if it is a van, then ch 18.

Reactions: Percy

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
1. I have an Oricom with a handset controller, and in the previous car a Undien. GME also make a handset controlled one.
2. There are also magnetic mount available, if you don't want it permananetly mounted - just run the wire up out the door. Like wise for a roof bar mount. Mine is mounted on the roof in a folding bracket screwed into a roof bar mounting point, cable hideen behind the A-pillar cover plate and in through the engine bay firewall. I don't know if that can be done in the Territories....
3. In addition to Chartrocks comments, Pacific Hwy and Bruce Hwy truckies use ch 29

At this time, a 40 channel UHF will still work on the 'network' so you might get one cheaper than the 80 channel. Most road users still use a channel in the 40 range.

Take a look at http://www.uhfcb.com.au/40-Channel-UHF-Infomation.php for a list of the first 40 channels for uses - some cannot be legally used and some should not be used other than to get their attention and then change channel. (The second 40 channels is generally a repeat of the first 40)

GME has a good Antennas brochure at http://www.gme.net.au/public/pdf/brochures/antennaslr.pdf which explains the differences and how they work.

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
1. What type - personal preference really as the different mounting types still have the same functions available. I have a GME TX3540 remote mic model so I can hide the module for a neater install. Can also unplug the handset when not in use (one less thing in the cockpit). My first preference is GME or Icom... Uniden last...

2. Aerial - Yep - check the GME site or google prestige comms to reference the different brands and types available.
You can't really have a temporary aerial as it will be hardwired to the UHF unit... agree with the Z bracket mentioned for fender mount - they were available in left or right hand for falcons (keeps the aerial vertical / matches bonnet profile) which should be the same as a territory bonnet.

The antenna used can be the same as a bull bar or fender mount. It may pay to look at a stainless steel whip type over fibreglass so you have less weight hanging off a Z bracket, spring base may also help with travels on rough outback roads. Whips can usually be taken off the base if you choose to do so when not touring (fiberglass antennas are mist commonly one piece).
Get a 6db - 6.6db ground independant antenna for an all rounder.
Keep in mind not all antennas have the cable terminated - connector will be normally provided but you will need a crimping tool to do the job correctly. Talk to your local comms shop as well to see what they recommend.

3. Protocol as others mentioned...

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
1. GME is my first choice, although I do have a Uniden in the Ranger at the moment and it has worked a treat.

2. Aerial, have alook at the through glass type, they look like a mobile ph antenna, work well for closer distance communication and do not risk damaging the side of the bonnet like the Z brackets do.

Cheers

randl007

Oct 27, 2011
Queensland
I would look at where you are going and how remote. If you are sticking to the black stuff and not going too far off road or remote it may be beneficial to just have a handheld unit. You can purchase some really good ones that are as good as fixed units, saving lots of hassle. Look at GME they have some good ones. We have both a mounted one and handheld which are very similar in range. There are a couple of channels to steer clear of ( mainly emergency ones) and if you just want conversation on the road scan all channels that way you pick up everyone's conversation. Hope this helps.

jeff

Mar 4, 2013
200km south of Perth
We have a GME in the car, it's a digital unit & not much bigger than a cigarette pack, all the controls are on the handset. Also have a GME handheld that we bought recently and this worked very well when travelling in convoy of about 10 cars. We didnt miss anything that was being said. Some of the newer units allow you to monitor two channels at one eg 40 & 18 so trucks or travellers can contact you.
Don't forget to put your call sign on front & back of van so you can be seen coming & going

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Hey Percy

We have a GME TX4400 40 channel (had it a while). As others have said, the 80 channels are out now. Not too many 40 chs left that you can purchase from what I have heard.

I have a GME Antenna that has not let me down at all. Its a light weight whip ground independant. Not sure about mounting on Z bracket though. This antenna can be removed if you don't want it left on the car. Mine came with a cap to put over the base unit if you do so. It also came with the 9DB gain extension for longer distance transmission. Just remember that the higher the DB Gain, the worse it will do in hilly areas and the lower the DB gain, the less distance but better in hills.
Have a look here and look at page 5 for a better explanation. Most people though seem to go with 6db as a good all rounder.

If you decide to go the path of a handheld in the car whilst travelling, I would make sure you look at the 5watt units - 5watt is the max a user can have in a CB radio. They will transmit further than a lower wattage.

As mentioned above, you can also scan channels. The scan options are usually "Open Scan" which will scan every channel on your unit. And if the unit allows - "Group Scan". Which is a user defined scan option to scan the channels you want. Some units will do only 2 channels in group whilst others will do many channels. Depends what you are looking for.

Hope that helps.
Ants