17' Series Tyres

PeterV

Mar 25, 2015
Turramurra, NSW
Hi all,
My first post and I have a question about the tyres that are on the Expanda when delivered. I am about to place an order for a 17.56-2 and am wondering whether it is worth upgrading the tyres to BFG ATs (I have these on my Pajero and Goldstream). I take comfort knowing that when I'm in a remote area or travelling on poor roads that the tyres won't let me down.

Has anyone had any issues with the standard Expanda tyres?

Many thanks......

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I had a problem with one while touring Tasmania, The van (and tryes) was 3 years old and it appeared like a hole was opening in the wall. Swapped the wheel and had the tyre checked internally and the wall had broken down. New tyre was fitted, same brand and no more troubles.
There is a picture of the tyre on post 59 on this thread.

PeterV

Mar 25, 2015
Turramurra, NSW
Many thanks Chartrock, looks like it was a good trip. As an aside, have you had any experience with the Gold Coast Jayco dealer?

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Welcome! You will always find lots of advice available here!! ( and people who like to spend your money of course)
There may be an issue with rim compatabiliy between your tug and van!
They will probably have different insets ie car wheel may have little and if fitted to your van will rub.
On my Expanda (14.44-5 OB)
Tyres: SP 752-01
LT 235/75R 15
110/107S M + S
Rim: 15" Offset: 80mm ET -6.
These will not fit on my Mazda BT 50
Hope that helps

Last edited:

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Welcome @PeterV ,
firstly, are you intending to order an OB or touring van, cos this will have a bearing on the tyres your van gets delivered with.
IIRC a touring van will come with HT tyres, whilst an OB will come with AT's (although not LT construction).
I took my van with the standard GT radial AT's that came with it along the Savannah Way, the GRR in the Kimberley's and plenty of other dirt roads without issue. My pajero at the time had BFG All-terrains too. Did not have a single failure or issue with either tyre in 23000k's

I reckon you'll be fine with the AT's that Jayco supply.

PeterV

Mar 25, 2015
Turramurra, NSW
Welcome! You will always find lots of advice available here!! ( and people who like to spend your money of course)
There may be an issue with rim compatabiliy between your tug and van!
They will probably have different insets ie car wheel may have little and she fitted to your van will rub.
On my Expanda (14.44-5 OB)
Tyres: SP 752-01
LT 235/75R 15
110/107S M + S
Rim: 15" Offset: 80mm ET -6.
These will not fit on my Mazda BT 50
Hope that helps

Many thanks Marv_Mart,
I looked into matching tyres between trailer and tug a few years ago when I had a Camp/O/Matic offroad camper trailer. It was too hard then & have since given up on that idea. This time it was more about the reliability of the tyre. I couldn't imagine that Jayco would put on a really poor quality tyre, but still, you get some comfort from the big brands you know.

PeterV

Mar 25, 2015
Turramurra, NSW
Welcome @PeterV ,
firstly, are you intending to order an OB or touring van, cos this will have a bearing on the tyres your van gets delivered with.
IIRC a touring van will come with HT tyres, whilst an OB will come with AT's (although not LT construction).
I took my van with the standard GT radial AT's that came with it along the Savannah Way, the GRR in the Kimberley's and plenty of other dirt roads without issue. My pajero at the time had BFG All-terrains too. Did not have a single failure or issue with either tyre in 23000k's

I reckon you'll be fine with the AT's that Jayco supply.

Thank Matty4,
Yes I'm looking at the OB. Beginning to look like I can save the money to spend to spend somewhere else!

PeterV

Mar 25, 2015
Turramurra, NSW
Just remenber that the tyre size is emblazoned onto the compliance plate, just in case you think about changing sizes as well!
Could ba an insurance thingy with it !

Thanks Hamish22,
Been toying with that idea for the Pajero, it has a 2" lift so plenty of room. I could probably legally go from a 65 profile to a 70, but haven't gone down that path yet.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Out of 3 Jayco's, all Outback's with AT tyres fitted, only ever had one tyre failure, and that was on the black top, tyre dealer reckons It dropped into pothole or off a shoulder as the inside sidewall was ruptured.

Robbie Reddog

Mar 25, 2015
Perth WA
Personally not a real fan of the GT Radials Jayco use on their vans.
I'm pretty particular with most things and always check condition and tyre pressure every day when travelling.
When we got our Swan the first thing I changed was the tyres to Bridgestone 697 LT's and may do the same when the StarCraft arrivals.

Friends also have the BFG's and they're very happy with them as well.

We did a trip around Australia a few years ago and were heading up to Cairns from Townsville when this happened to our then Destiny Outback..................
B1.jpg
B2.jpg

Luckily the van just dropped to the left but blew a hole in the floor near the island bed.

I think you have to be pretty particular especially when you have over a ton and a half on 2 tyres.

PeterV

Mar 25, 2015
Turramurra, NSW
Out of 3 Jayco's, all Outback's with AT tyres fitted, only ever had one tyre failure, and that was on the black top, tyre dealer reckons It dropped into pothole or off a shoulder as the inside sidewall was ruptured.

Thanks Bushman, I think that confirms it. I'll keep the tyres.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Many thanks Chartrock, looks like it was a good trip. As an aside, have you had any experience with the Gold Coast Jayco dealer?
I have only used them once for my 1st service on our previous van. Was not overly impressed but for no particular reason. We now use a local agent (East Coast RV) at Ashmore, a lot closer to home and very helpful people.

I see you live at Turramurra. I lived there (Kissing Pt area) for 10 years in another life.:behindsofa:

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
My OE tyres have covered plenty of ground including the Oodnadatta trk, Painted Desert. Another trip through outback QLD and the dirt way from Winton-Jundah-Quilie-Nocundra down to Tibbooburra to Broken Hill. We have travelled over gibbers and sand roads etc

Plus plenty of other trips. We have never had one puncture on all our travels. In saying this I am very careful with tyre pressures.

The tyres are now just over 4 years old and before any next big trips I'll be replacing them with LT tyres.

Welcome to the forum :yo:

PeterV

Mar 25, 2015
Turramurra, NSW
Personally not a real fan of the GT Radials Jayco use on their vans.
I'm pretty particular with most things and always check condition and tyre pressure every day when travelling.
When we got our Swan the first thing I changed was the tyres to Bridgestone 697 LT's and may do the same when the StarCraft arrivals.

Friends also have the BFG's and they're very happy with them as well.

We did a trip around Australia a few years ago and were heading up to Cairns from Townsville when this happened to our then Destiny Outback..................
View attachment 30975 View attachment 30976

Luckily the van just dropped to the left but blew a hole in the floor near the island bed.

I think you have to be pretty particular especially when you have over a ton and a half on 2 tyres.

That's pretty a pretty serious case of tyre failure!

PeterV

Mar 25, 2015
Turramurra, NSW
I have only used them once for my 1st service on our previous van. Was not overly impressed but for no particular reason. We now use a local agent (East Coast RV) at Ashmore, a lot closer to home and very helpful people.

I see you live at Turramurra. I lived there (Kissing Pt area) for 10 years in another life.:behindsofa:

Thanks again Chartrock. I live in the same area.

PeterV

Mar 25, 2015
Turramurra, NSW
My OE tyres have covered plenty of ground including the Oodnadatta trk, Painted Desert. Another trip through outback QLD and the dirt way from Winton-Jundah-Quilie-Nocundra down to Tibbooburra to Broken Hill. We have travelled over gibbers and sand roads etc

Plus plenty of other trips. We have never had one puncture on all our travels. In saying this I am very careful with tyre pressures.

The tyres are now just over 4 years old and before any next big trips I'll be replacing them with LT tyres.

Welcome to the forum :yo:

Thanks cruza driver, for both the info & the welcome.

Reactions: cruza driver