Tyre Repair

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
So got myself in a pickle on the weekend out on the tracks....

Got a flat which could have easily been plugged but don't have a plug kit in the car.

So I got to reading about repair kits and have found that it is not recommended to keep just the plugs in the tyres and that the tyre needs to be removed and a mushroom plug put in from underneath for a complete fix.

I have had a few tyres repaired in my time but never new about this and not even sure if this has been done for me in the past as I just thought most tyre shops just replicated the push in style plug not actually removing the tyre and repairing from the inside?

What does everyone else think?

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
Expanda the string plugs are great to get you out of the s#$t and yes they should be replaced with the mushroom style ,you shouldnt pay any more than
$25 thats what we charge they do break down eventually even though i had a string in for about a year on an old trailer that wasnt used much

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Expanda the string plugs are great to get you out of the s#$t and yes they should be replaced with the mushroom style ,you shouldnt pay any more than
$25 thats what we charge they do break down eventually even though i had a string in for about a year on an old trailer that wasnt used much

Cheers makes sense....

I am getting rid of these tyres anyway as it seems every time I hit the tracks it gets a flat :)!!!

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
I only heard this myself a couple of years ago, I had plugs in 1 tyre for ages. O'Neils told me that they become porous, absorb water and rust the steel belt.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
I only heard this myself a couple of years ago, I had plugs in 1 tyre for ages. O'Neils told me that they become porous, absorb water and rust the steel belt.

Lol I know everytime I have takend a tyre for repair they just plug it.....

At least I know now to question and get the full repair done but I don't like my changes of getting it done for $25 bucks!

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
Hey Expanda if you want to do some reading up on some tyres check out the new
maxxis a/t 700 nearly the same tread pattern as the b/s 694 we are selling heaps at $255 ea

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Hey Expanda if you want to do some reading up on some tyres check out the new
maxxis a/t 700 nearly the same tread pattern as the b/s 694 we are selling heaps at $255 ea

Cheers!!!

Interesting I thought the Maxis where like the home brand of tyres?

They seem good on paper though so Ill have to check them out :)..

Have you had much to do with the new Falken wildpeaks?

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
I had maxxis on the pathy and they were great. (albeit Big Horns) If they came in 19" for the LR, I'd have gone for them straight away.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
I had maxxis on the pathy and they were great. (albeit Big Horns) If they came in 19" for the LR, I'd have gone for them straight away.

Okay great!!!

Sorry dont deal with them

Well I am sold, did a few calls on them today and read a few reviews...

I can get them for about $250 - $260 a tyre and they come in the pathfinder stock configuration of 255/65 R17 which is great as I can fit a spare and it will fit in the well unlike the ones i have now!

Thanks for the advice mate but pitty not down your way :)!