Electrical Two batteries in the Panda

The Hez

Apr 13, 2013
Hi guys.
Just after some thoughts on placement of a second battery in the 18ft panda. I've opted for the meantime, to resist expensive solar mods and run an extra battery that I already have instead. Both are 120Ah AGM & are pretty heavy. Should I be looking at the 2nd battery near or behind the axel ?

I was also thinking of using it to power exclusively the TV / DVD setup so the kids can use it & not leave us light and water pumpless on our next Western free camp adventure.

Thanks guys. Love the mods & discussions on this site :):)

Cheers,

Hez

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi guys.
Just after some thoughts on placement of a second battery in the 18ft panda. I've opted for the meantime, to resist expensive solar mods and run an extra battery that I already have instead. Both are 120Ah AGM & are pretty heavy. Should I be looking at the 2nd battery near or behind the axel ?

I was also thinking of using it to power exclusively the TV / DVD setup so the kids can use it & not leave us light and water pumpless on our next Western free camp adventure.

Thanks guys. Love the mods & discussions on this site :):)

Cheers,

Hez
Hi @The Hez and welcome. Position of the battery would best be over the axel but that would depend on your setup. Eg if you have or plan to mount stuff on the drawbar such as a toolbox etc it would likely be better behind the axel. Also whether you have 2 water tanks and how much water you usually carry in each of them. Bottom line is you could position it to maintain the ball weight, that said I presume your limited with current battery location and available space.

Not sure how you wire up 2 seperate batteries that both charge from the same source and power independant appliances ... im sure its possible, but could be complex. My Kogan tv only draws about 4 or 5 amps so 2x120 dc batteries would last a while. A 120w solar panel from ebay should cost under $150 and a couple would help to replace an evenings tv. 2 cheap panels wouldnt cost any more than one of the batteries and youll need some method of topping up the batteries.

Let us know which way you decide to go ... plus we like photos.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Hi @The Hez and welcome. Position of the battery would best be over the axel but that would depend on your setup. Eg if you have or plan to mount stuff on the drawbar such as a toolbox etc it would likely be better behind the axel. Also whether you have 2 water tanks and how much water you usually carry in each of them. Bottom line is you could position it to maintain the ball weight, that said I presume your limited with current battery location and available space.

Not sure how you wire up 2 seperate batteries that both charge from the same source and power independant appliances ... im sure its possible, but could be complex. My Kogan tv only draws about 4 or 5 amps so 2x120 dc batteries would last a while. A 120w solar panel from ebay should cost under $150 and a couple would help to replace an evenings tv. 2 cheap panels wouldnt cost any more than one of the batteries and youll need some method of topping up the batteries.

Let us know which way you decide to go ... plus we like photos.

I concur
alot depends on your current setup (weight distribution along the Van) and what you are anticipating modifying

a good idea to think about what Mods you are / will be doing, as @Crusty181 said - box at the front, location and qty of water tanks, tyre / tool box at rear etc
best off working out what you are going to do, and in what order
if you know that you will be fitting a tool box to the front and moving your spare to the rear, place the batteries rear of the axel
better distribution for the towball weight

do it once,
do it properly
and
you wont have to worry again

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Rather than completely separate wiring think about using a dual battery isolator switch. Allows you to charge one or both. Operate off a selected one. Run it down then switch over. Or both. I've done this and it works a treat. I arrive with both batteries fully charged and have one in reserve when I switch over to operate just off one.

The Hez

Apr 13, 2013
Thanks for the prompt replies lads.

Firstly relating to the weight distribution issue, I have already mounted a box on the A-Frame that I have placed the gas bottles and spare wheel into. There's also my BBQ and just the wheel chocks and ramps. I don't have any heavy tools in there, I have my tools in the van under one of the seats. All that gear was already on the A-frame from the factory, so I've really only added the box. I also have two 100 ish litre water tanks that are forward of the axles. My thought was to keep one battery under the seat at the front where Jayco installed the original battery, and if it was needed, placing the second battery behind the axel in the bottom of the wardrobe. Obviously for convenience it would be nice to keep the batteries together, but I'm also aware of the need to balance the panda and the 120 Ah batteries I was given are pretty heavy.
I'm not planning on any further mods except for some mesh to use the old spare wheel frame between the A-frame to carry fire wood that we scrounge along the road.

Thanks twscoot, I'll also look into the switch option for the short to medium term as we hit the road in two weeks. I do eventually want it idiot proof so it does it all automatically. I have without a doubt the worlds worst memory and can guarantee I will forget the switch at some stage.

Cheers,

Hez

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
I have both of my batteries together under the seat on my 16'. The wiring,completed by an auto sparkle,is a simple positive to positive and negative to negative cable, never had an issue with them charging and different rates as they are identical batteries. This method also allows for equal draw down from both batteries, allowing for them to cycle together and maximising their service life.

Also remember that if the location is only just in front of the axel, a batteries weight will have minimal effect on the ball weight of the van (think leverage effects) and even if right at the front the most you would add is the weight of the battery itself, so 20-30kgs.

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Looking at it from another direction........I assume you have a 240 TV and DVD running off an inverter, an easier and cheaper way which would allow normal 2 battery hook up would be to replace them with 12v units. Inverters do chew up power to make 240v.

Mind you if you have 12v units then mod the kids pushies with gennies and they can exercise while being couch potatoes.

Last edited: