Interior TV mounting?

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Hi All,
We didn't get the factory installed tv but have ordered a 19" LED TV with DVD and USB input from Kogan. Also looking at a TV bracket from Bunnings that would be mounted to the side of the upper kitchen cabinet and allow the TV to swivel above the entrance door when not in use.
Does anyone have comments or experience with installing a TV eg do you leave it permanently mounted even when travelling, or do you take the TV down and transport elsewhere?
I was thinking on adding some brackets and straps to tie it more securely against the wall or cupboard to take the strain off the tv bracket.
Cheers, Paul

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hey @pauljygrant I just installed this one last weekend to the bottom of a cupboard.

I would always recommend taking the TV off the mount where possible as it does add weight and therefore additional pressure/strain on the bracket and what that is connected to. We are just using the standard TV which came with the van think it is a 19inch but even with that if you move it a bit the bottom of the cupboard moves slightly, tried re-enforcing the mount with a bracket inside the cupboard but didn't really make much difference, so we will just take it off when not in use and store it on the seat.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do with the TV and how to mount it, the straps and ties will probably help when moving which could take some load off the mounting point.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
@pauljygrant We had a wall mounted bracket in the last van and left it mounted but used straps to secure it when traveling... Wasn't 100% confident with it but no issues for the short time we had it setup like that.

Setup a fixed pole on the current van with a modified wall bracket fitted permanently... No movement at all when traveling so far and the u-bolts can be loosened to allow swiveling Img_0556.jpg if required.

Reactions: Smirke and bigcol

Tricky

Nov 10, 2012
Eltham Victoria
I have always travelled with the TV mounted - but - always have it tied back to the mount and have made a removable foam "rest" that takes the weight and any road shocks. Probably done approx 30k over the past 4 years and hasn't been an issue.

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Spoke to one of the guys at the dealer, they suggested we do the following. He gave us a piece of cupboard we screwed that with sikaflex and let settle for 24hrs. Then screwed the mount on. Has not been any drama or stress when travelling. We wedge the TV between the canvas whilst travelling.
Been in place now for over 3 years.
Cheers Deano

2d7ff32a.jpg
d74827fa.jpg
e83a5c60.jpg
IMG_3725.jpg

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
We have 2 tvs in our van. One (the main one by the lounge) was put in at build. The other, which is a bigger tv, we mounted to the side of our pantry cupboard. We mounted a piece a jarrah to the inside of the cupboard to spread the load. The mounting bracket is the same as the one supplied by jayco. We haven't removed either tv for traveling, and both have been fine. I did post a pic somewhere on here back in March or April, but can get a pic tomorrow if you need one.