Electrical TV dropping out with water pump

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
A few times now I have noticed the picture drops out when the tap is used. Iam thinking it's the signal booster loosing voltage when the pump cuts in and droping the picture? Thought I might run another 12v run from battery to wynguard point and isolate it?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The water pump runs off it's own circuit so shouldn't effect it. I would firstly check the connections on the Setec, I had to replace a couple of mine due to bad crimping also check that your TV cable connections are good, mine also had crimps that had cut thru the cable causing drop outs . Turning lights or other units on which cause TV to drop out can be from LED lights causing a RF frequency conflict which can be cured by changing to a better quality globe/unit but with a motor the cause is usually just crappy connections, bad earths but not power supply voltage, well except when it's a bad join/junction etc.
If running only on 12v system then also check that often forgotten part, the battery terminals.

Reactions: achjimmy

1756mick

Jan 8, 2015
Many digital tuners especially early units were more prone to interference than new ones. I'm certain most experienced interference from dryers, lights, blenders lightning with early TV's or digital set top boxes in their houses a lot in the early days of Digital TV. Mine used to crack loudly and loose signal. New tv's seem to have fixed this.

However any device with a inductive load(ie flourescents/electric motors etc)has the potential to create a substantial spike upon breaking the contact

Every time the contacts make or break there is a small arc.It is this arc that radiates the interference that causes the problems. (Hence that spike when the tap is turned and the pump activates.)

You can try to eliminate the problem with sheilded cables, better reception (bit hard that one but a good candidate) seperate power supply from thE battery/setec. Move thE TV away from the water pump, which in mine is 400mm away from the winegard.

Saying all that I would try first plugging your TV power supply in to a seperate power supply for testing. Such as a spare battery, or a 240v supply from the house direct. If you still get interfernece it is signal related and not power supply related.

You can then rest assured that power supply cabling /plug/ joiners, terminals are not the culprit.

If you know someone borrow their 12v TV and try it in the same spot.

Here's an interesting find on google:
The introduction to Digital signal may mean many caravans will have wiring of TV cable installed that is not satisfactory for digital. The Australian standard for digital & satellite is AS1367:2000. This is not an enforceable standard, but anyone connecting TV installation domestically knows that use of screw "F" connectors & use of RG6 or RG59 coaxial cable is the required standard and is critical. (FOX TEL only use this "F"system)

Most caravan manufacturers are still installing the "PUSH IN" fittings & this more than certainly will have the potential to cause problems when tuning to digital signal through set top boxes. Discuss this when ordering a new van. Certainly, flat ribbon cable should not be used & should be replaced. A report on this subject is available, obtained independently from GME Kingray.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Thanks @1756mick very informative post. I don't think I get any signal in my shed but next times its out I will try it on 240v irrc it tends to happen in fringe areas so maybe it's just cable.

On our last van I asked for an additional point which Jayco screwed up. When I chased the fault it was a poor f type crimp in a joiner. I repaired it and extended it and they certainly used RG6 then with F connections so I think that part is all good.